A&H

KFTPM

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
I had my first match decided on pens last sunday, after what was a well contested 1-1 draw.
I havent really clocked what people generally do ... but I tossed the ball to the incoming penalty taker so that he could spot it up for himself. In hindsight, i think i'd be happier just leaving the ball in and around the penalty mark for them?
Any thoughts ? Anyone do similar?

The Referee Store
I tend to leave the ball on the mark and tell the player that's where i want it. I ask him if he's happy with it, if he is there is no going back. Some players move it a bit to gain a potential advantage. I'm happy as long as it partially on the mark.

I place the ball. Ask the obvious but mandatory question (I think Its mandatory - thoughts?) on whether the guy walking towards me is the kick taker. Tell him to wait for my whistle. Walk to the goal line (if alone). Ask keeper if he is ready. Blow. Kick. Repeat.

...I only touch the ball(s) in the check, before the kick off and after the end whistle, each half, unless it needs checking/replacing.

I avoid touching the ball. Same as when on the line. I think it's bad practice. Too tempting. I think it is up to the players to retrieve and place the ball correctly as per the LotG. I don't see why KFtPM would be any different here. Just seems awkward to me to start retrieving and placing the ball. I'd rather be focused on everything else important.

Leave the ball where it is, inform the player taking the kick to place it on the penalty spot and only to go on the whistle, shout to the keeper to stay on his line, check ball is on spot..take position and blow whistle. Don't care if ball is at my feet or twenty yards away not my job to retrieve it? You do it for one team/player can be seen as bias so you would be running all over the pitch to get the ball and pander to teams. Let them sort it themselves.

To clarify, the only reason I ask the keeper to retrieve the ball and pass it on to me before i hand it to the kicker is to preempt any potential conflict between the 2! I certainly do it for both teams and don't rush anything

If you retrieve the ball for someone the last thing you can’t is a “you’re being biased to that team you got the ball for them” or “why were you slower getting it for us”

I place the ball. Ask the obvious but mandatory question (I think Its mandatory - thoughts?) on whether the guy walking towards me is the kick taker. Tell him to wait for my whistle. Walk to the goal line (if alone). Ask keeper if he is ready. Blow. Kick. Repeat.

When you say you place the ball, you mean you spot it for them?

Last edited:
Someone as referee is actually even hinting they would put the ball on the spot for the kicker?

can I ask where this idea comes from or where its been witnessed?

If the ball is very near me, I will manouvare it towards the pen spot, failing that, I aint moving, gof too much to focus on, where the gk is, what player is kicking next, what the score is etc to go retrieving a bal.

I would never imagine anything other than the kicker spotting up the ball themselves though.

With you as ref doing it, you are just asking a player to complain that it moved just before they hit it and its your fault, or it was the merest of different positions on turf than the opponents, or even my own bizare superstition when taking a pen, I wont kick it with the needle entry point visible.

And yes am aware the ball must be staionary before a kick but sadly I refer to MacAllister v Seaman.....

If the ball is in the goal you really don't want the attacker taking the next kick walking past the keeper to get it out, that is always likely to cause unnecessary conflict. So I would encourage the keeper to retrieve it, but wouldn't go and get it myself and certainly would never place the ball on the spot.

Players will always try and seek an advantage whether it's the taker lifting it out of a depression or having it just clipping the line nearer the goal or the harassed defender doing his best to put off the taker by wanting it respotted to his liking. These tactics aimed at putting off the taker or winding up the gks or defenders.

I've had more fun with encroachment than ball placement over the years, learn that sub law, that's an easy one to feck up.

about 15 years ago i played in a cup final that went the distance , and our player/manager was 5th up to take a pen.
the ref 'spotted' the ball for him, and he subsequently missed. He blamed the ref for it that day and still talks about it now.
No Paul.. it was a ****e pen... i think its still in orbit today....

I've only had a game decided of KFTPM once, and that was ages ago. I think my tactic was to pick my spot and stay there - if someone rolled the ball to me, I'd subsequently roll it to the next taker, but that was about as far as my interaction went.

Back