A&H

Kevin Friend

The Referee Store
I went to a talk by Kevin Friend once at a referee association. At 45 I was the youngest person there by about two decades.

Kevin delivered a talk complete with powerpoint slides that was clearly aimed at referees who are young enough to aspire to top level refereeing. It was all 'believe in yourself' and 'reach for the stars' and 'go for it!' Maybe he thinks he has a career as a motivational speaker after he retires.

Anyway, it was so dull I discreetly walked out. I have no idea what the septuagenarians thought of it.

I went to a talk by Kevin Friend once at a referee association. At 45 I was the youngest person there by about two decades.

Kevin delivered a talk complete with powerpoint slides that was clearly aimed at referees who are young enough to aspire to top level refereeing. It was all 'believe in yourself' and 'reach for the stars' and 'go for it!' Maybe he thinks he has a career as a motivational speaker after he retires.

Anyway, it was so dull I discreetly walked out. I have no idea what the septuagenarians thought of it.
Yes, I wasn't enthralled by him either TBH
For one thing, he told us 'not to caution for simulation at grass roots, because it will lead to match control issues'
You can imagine what I thought of that
Joking aside, I've met quite a few other EPL/EFL Refs and they've all had a lot more about them

Joking aside, I've met quite a few other EPL/EFL Refs and they've all had a lot more about them

The only other one I've met is David Coote who was a lot more interesting than Kevin Friend. I did note however that every time he showed us a video example of a great refereeing decision it was always his game, whereas when he showed examples of poor decisions it was always Mike Dean!

Back