A&H

Kettering vs Leamington

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
i was surprised at the refs intial action. it looked like he was asking the player to stop coming towards him whilst he was moving towards the defender with his arm out.

once the defender strikes his arm away though it must surely be a straight red although the 2nd yellow follows immediately, presumeably for dissent, as you say

perhaps the ref was too agressive in his initial body language which casued the confrontation? not sure

Player tried to reenter pitch and had to be restrained by stewards. He also said he'll see the referee afterwards in the car park.

The expectations sports set are weird. Forget slapping his arm away, I've seen players dismissed from baseball and NFL matches for doing similar to the way he walked into the arm. But for some reason, the consensus in our sport is that this is soft?

The player is obviously at fault and can't complain at his sending off. I do think this might end up on an FA training video though as perhaps not the best practice for a referee. If a player is compliant, and dare I even say placid, then by all means meet them half way. But if an angry player is marching towards you it really isn't a good idea to move towards them with your arm out, either hold your ground or possibly even back away so that it is clear to everyone that the player is coming after you. The further the distance they have to travel the more likely it is they will have calmed down, even if just a little, by the time they reach you.

Strikes me as a little similar to the Dean Smith sending off tonight. He says something, the referee shows a yellow, Smith (like the player in this case) just can't help himself and says something that sees the yellow turn red within a few seconds.

Reactions: es1
Referees hand out, either a stop coming or calm down. Player walks into the arm and then proceeds to slap it.
Straight red
The fact that we as referees can’t interpret the referee’s body language here is worrying.
Don’t get me wrong - any contact with aggressive intent is a red for me. But I think the referee has at least two learning points - the hand signals and the fact he’s moving towards the player. Frankly, if he’s asking the player to keep a distance while also marching towards him you have to wonder.

Referee is irritated and behaved as such. Once the Ref's lost his own grip, hardly surprising the player followed suit
I don't like to see a card issued like this either, especially in such circumstances. Inviting trouble

As referees we sometimes help create bad situations rather than managing them--but that doesn't excuse the conduct of the player. I was at an AYSO tournament where a referee was headbutted by a 19U player following a red card. I didn't see the play, but talked to other refs who did, who explained that in giving the red card, the R stepped into the space of the player. For heaven's sake, why? We know a red is emotional, so we should always be sure there is space so that the player doesn't feel cornered. I'm absolutely not saying the ref deserved what happened, just that better management could have avoided amping up an inherently volatile moment. I can't run the video of the incident here, but it sounds like a bit of similarity. We'll never know if there would have been a different result if the R had handled better.

I was going to say that Kettering were lucky not to lose another (12:30), but that player was sent off for a second caution able offence later, anyway

There was a fortunate yellow at 9:15, quite possibly red.

The incident with the captain is from 3:05. The captain walks some distance. The referee has his arm out and stops walking. The captain walks into it and then slaps at the arm. Really, he knew what he was doing. I find it hard to blame the referee, although the captain should have gone immediately. No need to wait for more dissent

Reactions: one
although the captain should have gone immediately. No need to wait for more dissent
He bottled the red for a yellow. All of us have done this, more than once. But I think he realised this immediately after and 'righted the wrong' the first chance he got which wasn't long after.

Kettering were an absolute disgrace. 2 players were determined to get sent off. Glad the referee obliged

The Referee sets the standard. I know through my own limited experience, that when I've internally lost my temper, the situations don't pan out as desired. It could be argued that this R acts aggressively. I'm sure he regretted it and hopefully will reflect on it as a bad mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back