A&H

Kane Headbutt?

Ryanj91

Kane seems to have got away with a headbutt.....

I will never understand why the FA don't get involved with clear errors by the referee.

The Referee Store
Be careful what you wish for. In the US, the professional league has two different committees--one that looks at possible sanctions for certain misconduct missed by the officials and one that can reverse certain misconduct issued by the officials. (I believe that both are limited to send off offenses and possibly mistaken ID.) I'm not convinced that it has led to any greater consistency.

Indeed, on some types of plays, I think a player would be better of having been sanctioned as that committee would reverse, but the other committee would have sanctioned if it had not been sanctioned.

Was this Kane incident one of these head to head nudging session, or was there a forceful movement of the head to justify brutality?

The FA Rules are quite Categoric.
If the referee see's the incident and deals with it on the FoP, then NO retrospective action can be taken

Andre Mariner seen the incident and dealt with It. No Retrospective action

If the referee see's the incident and deals with it on the FoP, then NO retrospective action can be taken

Emmhmmm maybe Alf Inga Harland or the Wigan player beg to differ!! 🤔

So why didn't he send him off?

Players have been sent off for less than that. Inconsistencies in refereeing in the Prem is crazy.

There may have been another angle that I didn't see but based on the replays I saw at the time, it wasn't clear to me whether there was any actual contact. Now I suppose you could call it 'an attempted head butt' but from the footage I saw it might equally have only been a threatening movement of the head, a little similar to the Edin Dzeko incident the other week when although it appeared he had spat at the referee, he actually hadn't.

So in case I missed it, can anyone say (based on definitive video evidence they have seen) that a head butt actually occurred?

For me act of brutality does not require contact (eg swing of a fist). If the intent was to make contact then he should be off. There has been three similar 'headnudge' incidents this year all seeing red. Now I admit first two were slightly more serious but last one very very similar.

EDIT: Added the image form Kane incident. Looks like contact anyway.

1551510558001.png

Screenshot_20190302-172440.jpg
Screenshot_20190302-172552.jpg
Screenshot_20190302-172643.jpg

Last edited:
So why didn't he send him off?

Players have been sent off for less than that. Inconsistencies in refereeing in the Prem is crazy.

The motioning of head is no longer enough to be classed as vc, its needs to be accompanied by the act of brutality.

For me act of brutality does not require contact (eg swing of a fist). If the intent was to make contact then he should be off. There has been three similar 'headnudge' incidents this year all seeing red. Now I admit first two were slightly more serious but last one very very similar.

EDIT: Added the image form Kane incident. Looks like contact anyway.

View attachment 3184

View attachment 3181
View attachment 3182
View attachment 3183
How many have resulted in yellow?

I don't know. The three I saw were pointed out by a journo.
Although there are some exceptions to the rule, I'd say that the expected outcome for these incidents (in the EPL and EFL) has now changed to yellow..
I've had one similar occurrence recently. 2xYC and some very stern words along the lines of... I won't hesitate to issue a second YC if the two protagonists persist in any way whatsoever

Although there are some exceptions to the rule, I'd say that the expected outcome for these incidents (in the EPL and EFL) has now changed to yellow..
When you say now, do you mean half way through the season or from the start of the season? Surly they don't change the rule half way through the season.

If from the start of the season and the three Red's are 'exceptions' to the rule then is it fair to assume we have had say 100 or so these sort of headbutts so far this season to make yellow the norm rule. Surly 3 Red's and say 5 yellows doesn't make the Red's 'exception' to the rule.

Hope you can see the logic I am trying to apply :)

Edit: the cynical part of me says the reason this was not charged retro was the FA bottom line, sponsors etc.

Back