A&H

Just Starting Out!

declan99

Hi Guys,

I've been reading some threads on this forum for a few days, I recently applied for a course that takes place in the not so distant future (11th of Feb) and I can't wait. Becoming a Ref is something that never even crossed my mind but to me it sounds perfect, I've never been any good at football but I have an absolute passion for the sport, being able to get on a kit and step out onto the pitch will be an amazing feeling everytime I do it, regardless of what level, I just really can't wait!

I know some of these questions may have been answered on here but I really wanted to start my own account and get involved with the comunity on here. So apologies if I ask some questions that you guys are bored of answering, hopefully one day I'll be on here answering a rookies questions after I've been involved for a few years.

To try give you guys some background info I'm doing the Basic Referee Course in the Northumberland FA, I'm a few weeks away from my 20th birthday, and I'm currently a University student.

If I'm honest I only really have one question, but more than likely I'll have more to follow in a few months. What type of footwear will I need? Do I need football boots, or just general trainers? I know it's better if the footwear is all black, but I was just wondering what type of footwear I need to buy, if you have any recommendations on types/brands that would also be greatly appriciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I'm counting down the days till I get started!
Dec

P.S - Any random tips or tricks for a newbie would also be amazing!

The Referee Store
Buy boots, preferably 2 pairs and make them a black as you can. One pair for firm ground and one pair for soft ground. Don't spend a lot on them as you'll want them for comfort not for kicking a ball. If you've got wide feet, then go with Nike Tiempos. If you're not a Hobbit, then go with Adidas.

Got some good referees up in Northumberland, you'll do well if you listen and learn. Oh and not every game is great; there'll be tough days and really tough days. Just enjoy it and don't **** up.

One tip from a newbie.

Your first few games will be nerve wracking, you'll make mistakes, won't know what to say to players /managers, but don't sweat it. It comes with time and games.

I'm about 7 in, in the middle, most of them Sunday league u14/15/16.

My most recent Sunday just gone, I felt was my best, most confident.

At the start, my course, I thought it would be easy, but it's not. It's not difficult, but make sure you study the LOTG, and as I say, don't sweat it, know the basics, main stuff, don't worry too much about knowing it all at the start. You won't be able to.

Above all, have fun. It's great!

Edit - and on footwear, Sports Direct were doing a pair of boots for around £30 iirc, full black, Nike.

Something to consider if you want all black.

The Northumberland FA that's my county if you are going to be doing older ages or open age take a look at my profile and some of my posts for advice from other members on incidents shall we say that have regularly cropped up in my times refereeing in Northumberland.

You also have to be a bit mad, if you don’t start off a bit mad, some players and managers will certainly drive you that way. What other fun pastime allows you to be shouted at and cursed for 90 minutes whilst you babysit 22 petulant testeone laden thugs in the hope a fair game breaks out.

Good luck, never stop learning, I was still learning on my 500th game....

You also have to be a bit mad, if you don’t start off a bit mad, some players and managers will certainly drive you that way. What other fun pastime allows you to be shouted at and cursed for 90 minutes whilst you babysit 22 petulant testeone laden thugs in the hope a fair game breaks out.

Good luck, never stop learning, I was still learning on my 500th game....

Haha thank you, I honestly can't wait to get going. It seems hard but good fun too, and I won't lie I've had some good laughs reading this forum today too, the community seems great! :)

Haha thank you, I honestly can't wait to get going. It seems hard but good fun too, and I won't lie I've had some good laughs reading this forum today too, the community seems great! :)
The best thing about refereeing, is it's really difficult
Assuming LOTG competence, it's all about communication (a broad term in this context), beginning and ending in the car park
It may also have a good influence on your overall health, whilst crossing your palm with a small amount of silver

Good luck mate.

Im only 6 months into my career and can honestly say ive learnt more on here than the course i went on, dont be afraid to ask questions no matter how obvious the answer might seem.

Read your Laws of the game book whenever you have a spare few minutes.

Good luck mate.

Im only 6 months into my career and can honestly say ive learnt more on here than the course i went on, dont be afraid to ask questions no matter how obvious the answer might seem.

Read your Laws of the game book whenever you have a spare few minutes.
This. Especially the last sentence.

And stay on this forum. Everyone here benefits from it, some openly, some secretly :; :)

One tip from a newbie.

Your first few games will be nerve wracking, you'll make mistakes, won't know what to say to players /managers, but don't sweat it. It comes with time and games.

I'm about 7 in, in the middle, most of them Sunday league u14/15/16.

My most recent Sunday just gone, I felt was my best, most confident.

At the start, my course, I thought it would be easy, but it's not. It's not difficult, but make sure you study the LOTG, and as I say, don't sweat it, know the basics, main stuff, don't worry too much about knowing it all at the start. You won't be able to.

Above all, have fun. It's great!

Edit - and on footwear, Sports Direct were doing a pair of boots for around £30 iirc, full black, Nike.

Something to consider if you want all black.

Do you speak to players/ managers in there changing room prior to the match? if so what sort of stuff do you say? I'm due to referee my 1st match soon U14 level however as a current Sunday League player, I never see the referee until the start of the match.

Do you speak to players/ managers in there changing room prior to the match? if so what sort of stuff do you say? I'm due to referee my 1st match soon U14 level however as a current Sunday League player, I never see the referee until the start of the match.

your last few words tell you all you need to know !!!!

its been posted on here before until not just the cows come home, but, them same cows are sizzling away in your local drive through...

your last few words tell you all you need to know !!!!

its been posted on here before until not just the cows come home, but, them same cows are sizzling away in your local drive through...

I was asking that person directly, however many thanks for your valuable comment. Yes I have noticed most questions seem to be asked several times, however It would have just been easier to not to comment if you couldnt be helpful.

I was asking that person directly, however many thanks for your valuable comment. Yes I have noticed most questions seem to be asked several times, however It would have just been easier to not to comment if you couldnt be helpful.

Well forgive me, but I answered your question, "your last words tell you all you need to know"

You state you have not seen heard the ref when you play, there is your answer! Right there in front of you.

Some folk learn best when they work things out for themselves, and, I wrongly assumed you would be in that category.

The brief answer is, although its very much up to the individual, the vast majority, not just on here, but, in real life, will say nothing
Other than "enjoy the game, good luck"
Anything else you say re how you are planning to referee the game is just setting you up for a fall when you don't follow it through

So, the non brief and unexplained answer is, nothing. You go out and apply the LOTG to the best of your ability,

Sorry again and sorry in advance if my contribution is not helpful.

Well forgive me, but I answered your question, "your last words tell you all you need to know"

You state you have not seen heard the ref when you play, there is your answer! Right there in front of you.

Some folk learn best when they work things out for themselves, and, I wrongly assumed you would be in that category.

The brief answer is, although its very much up to the individual, the vast majority, not just on here, but, in real life, will say nothing
Other than "enjoy the game, good luck"
Anything else you say re how you are planning to referee the game is just setting you up for a fall when you don't follow it through

So, the non brief and unexplained answer is, nothing. You go out and apply the LOTG to the best of your ability,

Sorry again and sorry in advance if my contribution is not helpful.

When I was a youngster playing the game, the referee would always come in to the changing room, check players boots, ensure no jewellery was on, sock tape was same colour of the socks and say have a good game etc, however since I have started playing Sunday League football the referee turns up does his thing and the 1st time he speaks to players is prior to kick off. So i just presumed cos the standard of Sunday League football is so poor, and the referee's have been refereeing for years, they just couldn't be bothered to meet the players prior to the match.

He can’t help himself! 😂

Reactions: one
He can’t help himself! 😂

Very sorry for giving an answer that was straight forward and hopefully reflects the views of any post I have seen here on this before.

if someone else wishes to come on and contribute 100 pages of stuff which has already been posted and is searchable in the post topic thing, then am sure that's a far better option.

Last edited:
Very sorry for giving an answer that was straight forward and hopefully reflects the views of any post I have seen here on this before.

if someone else wishes to come on and contribute 100 pages of stuff which has already been posted and is searchable in the post topic thing, then am sure that's a far better option.
Pleased to see you can recognise your own failings unlike some on here........

Back