A&H

Just don't know

br_pockets

Level 7 Referee
How I feel about refereeing after my first 5 games.

Nothing bad has happened and I've had hand shakes from each team after the match and thanks, but during the actual match I just think to myself why am I doing this. I'm not particularly enjoying it.

Just wondered if anyone else felt similarly early on. I'm of course out of my comfort zone and it's quite mentally draining in the middle so just wondering if I'll start to feel more comfortable with experience and thus enjoy it more? Or maybe it's just not for me.

The Referee Store
I asked my assigner for some kid games. As an older adult, I was being assigned older players, and being new, was difficult.

Doing games of 6 to 9 years olds, the 'joy' the kids show will rub off on you. At those ages, the games are more fun than serious (except the parents)

To help you decide the way forward, please talk to one of your course tutors, or the local Referees' Association secretary, or a local mentor, or all 3.
It can take time to get into a comfort zone as a referee, and as suggested you may wish to try different age groups of players to assist in finding your individual comfort zone.

How I feel about refereeing after my first 5 games.

Nothing bad has happened and I've had hand shakes from each team after the match and thanks, but during the actual match I just think to myself why am I doing this. I'm not particularly enjoying it.

Just wondered if anyone else felt similarly early on. I'm of course out of my comfort zone and it's quite mentally draining in the middle so just wondering if I'll start to feel more comfortable with experience and thus enjoy it more? Or maybe it's just not for me.
Which age group have you been doing so far? It's not an easy role to play, and most of the fun seems to come (for me at least) when I know I've got one right, or if something totally silly happens like Little Timmy trying to kick the ball and going arse-over-tit Charlie-Brown style.

Definitely consider being an AR for a couple of games. Working in a team of 3 is more enjoyable and you will learn loads from the ref.

I had a 15 year old Level 7 run a County League line (which has gone to CARs from last year due to lack of officials). He plays for the home clubs youth team on a Sunday morning and ARs for their county league on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoons he refs kids football. Speaking and watching him on the line he would benefit so much from doing one or two lines a month as a NAR. It really does change the experience of being a referee.

As I explained to another (older) county league CAR last week, people don't realise that it's a lonely job on your own and being in a team changes that experience for younger or new refs.

Definitely consider being an AR for a couple of games. Working in a team of 3 is more enjoyable and you will learn loads from the ref.

I had a 15 year old Level 7 run a County League line (which has gone to CARs from last year due to lack of officials). He plays for the home clubs youth team on a Sunday morning and ARs for their county league on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoons he refs kids football. Speaking and watching him on the line he would benefit so much from doing one or two lines a month as a NAR. It really does change the experience of being a referee.

As I explained to another (older) county league CAR last week, people don't realise that it's a lonely job on your own and being in a team changes that experience for younger or new refs.
This! I learned a huge amount from starting off doing lines in the UCL (United Counties League, not the other one!) and I still look forward to match days where I'm in a team of three.

Definitely think having a go on the line would be valuable experience just for the team ethos.

I got into refereeing to help out the junior club I coach at and to be fair the junior matches I've done have been a little more enjoyable.

The 2 OA matches I've done have been fine but I can't say they were enjoyable. More releif at the end and some satisfaction in having done an ok job and getting thanks from the players, but I think it's just too lonely and experience.

I think it's just a step too far in terms of footballing activities at the weekend, already spending a good chunk of time volunteering as a coach and club ref.

Definitely think having a go on the line would be valuable experience just for the team ethos.

I got into refereeing to help out the junior club I coach at and to be fair the junior matches I've done have been a little more enjoyable.

The 2 OA matches I've done have been fine but I can't say they were enjoyable. More releif at the end and some satisfaction in having done an ok job and getting thanks from the players, but I think it's just too lonely and experience.

I think it's just a step too far in terms of footballing activities at the weekend, already spending a good chunk of time volunteering as a coach and club ref.
A key part of refereeing is enjoying the trade. It you don’t enjoy it, it can become quite a daunting and a terrible experience. It could also reflect in decision making if not having fun simply becomes not caring.

I wouldn’t say give it up as the fact you’ve done the course would suggest you have an interest, but maybe try different age groups, different leagues and/or being an AR.

Refereeing doesn't work for everyone the same way, just like many other thing. Just because you are not enjoying it after 5 games it doesn't mean it will stay that way.

My suggestion is give it a season. Towards the end of the season you get more comfortable in the middle. Make a decision then to come back the next season or not.

Of course good advice above. You need to do games fitting your skill level as ref or AR.

Back