A&H

Just a silly question..

TravisW12

I'm not really sure how to phrase this but..

I referee U12s and they are in a league, CARs are always used for the games.

Say if I bought 2 of my friends to a game who have no affiliation to either the home or away club, would they be able to lino as NARs/CARs (for both teams)

Again sorry if it sounds ridiculous just curious lol

The Referee Store
I'm not really sure how to phrase this but..

I referee U12s and they are in a league, CARs are always used for the games.

Say if I bought 2 of my friends to a game who have no affiliation to either the home or away club, would they be able to lino as NARs/CARs (for both teams)

Again sorry if it sounds ridiculous just curious lol
It will be a League Rule that the Clubs provide an AR. Hence CAR
Besides, if you rock up to a game and there's three of you, two of whom are not qualified, that's 3x the blame & pain (on a good day!)

Last edited:

You can ask the clubs if they're happy to use them as CARs. But, in fairness I wouldn't bother.

Where it has happened to me early on in my career, it was for games where the team literally only had 11 players and therefore had no one to help run the line. In those cases my acquaintances would help out, with the approval of both teams, but this is more in the spirit of getting the game on tbh.

From a refereeing point of view it is a good way to introduce your friends to the trade and getting them to join the dark side. I am going to disagree with my colleagues above and encourage it. I think your comp rules would enforce CAR appointment by teams. It would be fairly easy to introduce your friends to the teams and say they are happy to run the line if approved by the teams. Do mention to them they are not affiliation to either team if that is the case. I don't see any reason why they should refuse the offer.

Hey Travis! Your local league rules will probably say that each club should provide a CAR. Hand on heart, even if you had two absolutely perfect neutral friends willing to do it, it’s not going to be worth the fallout or headache.

It’s a great way to lose friends LOL. Imagine ignoring their incorrectly raised flag... welcome to the brethren though 👍 ask as many questions as you like, we’ve all been newbies at one point! 🍻

If the rules of competition say the teams are to supply CAR's and assuming they have them available (unlike @RobOda's scenario mentioned above) I also wouldn't do this. To paraphrase the conflict of interest statement that I used to have to sign in my old job, you should avoid doing anything that might give even the impression of being against the rules.

Also I suppose I've always had more of a pessimistic outlook on things in general but I think I would prefer to avoid even the possibility of something going wrong and backfiring on you.

Might be slightly different but me and another ref were at a loose end and were going to watch another refs game, but we both needed lines for promotion so asked our Appointing Officer if we could do it. Also went to watch the same ref on another day and one team had no subs so I ran a line.

I'd say when you get contact from the home team confirming the fixture, ask them. I reckon if I brought two people to line they'd snap my hand off, not many people want to run the line!

Might be slightly different but me and another ref were at a loose end and were going to watch another refs game, but we both needed lines for promotion so asked our Appointing Officer if we could do it. Also went to watch the same ref on another day and one team had no subs so I ran a line.

I'd say when you get contact from the home team confirming the fixture, ask them. I reckon if I brought two people to line they'd snap my hand off, not many people want to run the line!
Right up to the point they don't give that marginal offside and all of a sudden it becomes your fault....

I have to agree with one on this. I say this from a coaching perspective having coached in junior football for 12 years prior to joining the dark side. Most club coaches just don't like being the assistant ref, they don't move down the line and don't tend to call offsides at under 12's. Having a willing volunteer willing to take this role on will I suspect in most cases be welcome. Yes there are a lot of people involved in junior football for the wrong reasons but there are also a huge amount in it for the right reasons, player development and for the good of the children. This would extend to willing children taking on the assistant ref role. I would say go for it. Ask the coaches in advance, most will say yes. I think it will also make them support you too in your role, it takes a lot of confidence to do this. Best of luck if you decide to

Clubs generally hate providing CARs, and usually have to coerce someone into doing it. Given this, I think that as long as both clubs agree to your friends doing it you would have two very happy clubs. Whether your friends you be happy after 90 minutes is an entirely different question ... :bite:

Clubs generally hate providing CARs, and usually have to coerce someone into doing it. Given this, I think that as long as both clubs agree to your friends doing it you would have two very happy clubs. Whether your friends you be happy after 90 minutes is an entirely different question ... :bite:
I would expect that most Leagues' Rules state something along the lines of, "each club must provide an AR"
It's a mad idea on lots of levels
Whistle-blowing madness

Back