A&H

Junior County Cup Final Dress Code

Olivia P

Hi (sorry if this is in the wrong section!)
I recently got appointed referee for an Under 14’s County Cup Final, which I am excited about! I’ve done 4th official and line for the adult competition, but never at junior level. I emailed my assistants (who are fairly young) that the dress code is smart (female, so blazer, etc) for arrival as it would be for adult. They seem to be questioning this. Is it too formal? I just for County Cup appearances matter, even at junior level.
Thanks, sorry for the daft question.

The Referee Store
Depends where you're at, but in Wales my RDO advised collar and tie for the Semi-Finals, so clearly same dress code for the finals as well. I think you're right to ask for smart dress, even if it is at the youth level. It is good to turn out professionally as a unit for the appearances as you're representing the County FA etc.

I recently got appointed referee for an Under 14’s County Cup Final, which I am excited about! I’ve done 4th official and line for the adult competition, but never at junior level. I emailed my assistants (who are fairly young) that the dress code is smart (female, so blazer, etc) for arrival as it would be for adult. They seem to be questioning this. Is it too formal? I just for County Cup appearances matter, even at junior level.

Simplest answer - give Ross (NRCFA RDO) a ring. He will give you the answer.

Not sure how they could "question" it to be honest Olivia.

Perhaps stipulating a blazer to be worn is the problem. Not everybody has them (I certainly don't).

But the smart (female) equivalent is definitely the dress code to adopt when officiating at any Cup Final. :cool:

Perhaps stipulating a blazer to be worn is the problem. Not everybody has them (I certainly don't).

But the smart (female) equivalent is definitely the dress code to adopt when officiating at any Cup Final. :cool:
Yeah, they just asked me what they meant. So then I started questioning myself, is it the same procedure as it would be at adult level.

But yeah, I just said ‘smart/formal’ on the email. I didn’t stipulate any item of clothing, so maybe they thought I was a bit vague. Oh well, if anything it’s a learning curve in communication for myself.

Reactions: Kes
My county have advised suit and county FA tie but if official does not have them not to buy but just to be smart.

I personally think football is stuck in the dark ages and hasn't caught up with society. When I first started working in the City 20+ years ago it was strictly suited and booted with tie, that then got diluted with no tie needed, then to smart casual. Now I can go to work in the same environment in jeans, t-shirt, and trainers. Strike me as totally bizarre that few people go to work suited and booted now yet referees have to.

That said, if I get a cup final it would always be full suited and booted as that is what is (currently) expected.

Last time @Kes had a blazer Minty was in shorts!

remember you never get a second chance to make a first impression ,go with your gut instinct if you bother to look smart and your a r s dont that will reflect badly on them not you, good luck

I personally think football is stuck in the dark ages and hasn't caught up with society. When I first started working in the City 20+ years ago it was strictly suited and booted with tie, that then got diluted with no tie needed, then to smart casual. Now I can go to work in the same environment in jeans, t-shirt, and trainers. Strike me as totally bizarre that few people go to work suited and booted now yet referees have to.

That said, if I get a cup final it would always be full suited and booted as that is what is (currently) expected.

Players have also gone this way. When I played at a good standard it was shirt and tie before a game and when you went in the clubhouse for food afterwards. As soon as the opposition had left you could take your tie off.

Now, I've AR'd at the same level I played at and we were there in shirt and tie whilst the players and coaches have team tracksuits or hoodies. Football is always the last part of society to change (concussions still in control of club management/doctors, racism and homophobia in the stands etc). But referees manage to be behind players and managers in modernising, and being the last part of the last game to evolve/modernise is pretty damning.

Players have also gone this way. When I played at a good standard it was shirt and tie before a game and when you went in the clubhouse for food afterwards. As soon as the opposition had left you could take your tie off.

Now, I've AR'd at the same level I played at and we were there in shirt and tie whilst the players and coaches have team tracksuits or hoodies. Football is always the last part of society to change (concussions still in control of club management/doctors, racism and homophobia in the stands etc). But referees manage to be behind players and managers in modernising, and being the last part of the last game to evolve/modernise is pretty damning.
being scruffy when going to an important has got nothing to do with modernisation, it takes exactly the same ammount of time to put a crisp white shirt, referee tie/cravat for the ladies as a scruufy sweat shirt

being scruffy when going to an important has got nothing to do with modernisation, it takes exactly the same ammount of time to put a crisp white shirt, referee tie/cravat for the ladies as a scruufy sweat shirt

"A crisp white shirt, cravat for the ladies". It's a football match not the royal wedding.

I might wear a suit for a funeral, but the day has been and past that I do the same for a football match. I have some smart clobber (being a modern man and all that), but M&S and BHS have had their day!

Last edited:
sad young referees feel that way
Very complimentary... I turn 45 this month haha
I'm a dam site smarter than the old folkies in their double-breasted moth infested suits and league ties from the 70's!

Last edited:
Very complimentary... I turn 45 this month haha
I'm a dam site smarter than the old folkies in their double-breasted moth infested suits and league ties from the 70's!
Just to throw in now this has gone in this direction...

I am also 45, hate suits, felt I had to wear one to a Requiem Mass funeral last week, and I avoid shaving like the plague. However, I shave before all high level games - something I have always avoided in the day job.*

I realise that it is part of what we do. It is expected. I haven't been asked to suit up for a match - I think it's very very rare here - but if my chiefs wanted it, I would probably feel it is a honour to be tasked with the kind of game wear a whistle and flute might be appropriate.

*Much to the chagrin of Ms Sangria who claims "I make far more effort with my appearance for refereeing than I ever do with her!" Ha!

Back