A&H

Jones and Swarbrick retired

JH

RefChat Addict
Mike Jones and Neil Swarbrick retired today - time for a couple of fresh faces in the Premier League?

The Referee Store
Really I didn’t think Swarbrick had been select group that long?

I know jones has been around a while.

Absolutely time, get some young blood in and let’s put English refs back on the world stage. Chris Kavannagh, promoted this season, has been absolutely fantastic in the few games he’s had. Would tip him for success in years to come.

They are staying working for PGMOL, focusing on the development of VAR.

From the Twitter link below it looks like Andy Madley, Rob Jones and David Coote are in with a shout of getting promoted, with Tim Robinson and Simon Hooper not far behind.

Andy Madley and Rob Jones are excellent, and would be a monumental rise for Rob as two years ago he was refereeing the Conference final and getting promoted to the Football League. Saw him at Hillsborough last weekend and he looked like an absolute natural, not the most difficult of games but he was in complete control even when challenged. I wasn't sure about David Coote originally, but he has been good whenever I've seen him in the past year.

Andy Madley I’ve been quite impressed with the last couple of years seems a cool customer.

Coote & Robinson have been a bit card happy imo although I think they both might have mellowed a bit on that front. Simon Hooper you must be joking I reckon I could be more consistent in a game than him, he was woeful the other night Charlton v Shrewsbury.

I’ve been studying referees and betting on yellow cards for around 10 years, I have years stored in my brain regarding referees in Europe how they ref what tolerance level they have etc, now I’m in the middle myself it’s rather interesting, I’m a little more understanding when I don’t get a yellow I need on tv (well try to be anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I have a chance of making the promotion? :D Fast-track me up there? :D

Well anyway, will be good to see who gets promoted and how they handle it. :)

Why would PGMOL reveal who they're assessing? Apart from looking at their matches, what is there to assess?

And allowing betting on referees giving out cards seems just silly - way too much scope for corruption (see Greek cup final needing a Spanish referee).

Why would PGMOL reveal who they're assessing? Apart from looking at their matches, what is there to assess?

And allowing betting on referees giving out cards seems just silly - way too much scope for corruption (see Greek cup final needing a Spanish referee).

Betting on cards in a game & obviously the referee is an important factor in that.

i could never understand how mike jones ever got to select group in the first place,
the only mystery now is how and, why is lee mason still there

Good riddens to him, he has zero personality on field never smiles I’ve never seen him have any kind of a rapport with players, he always looks like he’s been forced to ref & doesn’t enjoy it, maybe why he’s moving upstairs.

Good riddens to him, he has zero personality on field never smiles I’ve never seen him have any kind of a rapport with players, he always looks like he’s been forced to ref & doesn’t enjoy it, maybe why he’s moving upstairs.

I disagree, I think there are far more 'uninteresting' referees, Lee Mason somewhere near the top. Don't think I've ever seen Mason smile and anytime I've seen him on a tunnel cam, he's been straight-faced, no tone to his voice. Swarbrick was cracking jokes with Carragher and Neville in Sky's documentary at least.

True I’ll give u that brick was more relaxed on that doc.

Must be the pressure of the prem, u can’t enjoy it u feel like your standing trial for 90mins, most of them are as miserable as sin.

I quite like Swarbrick. He has an obvious personality and will have a laugh with the players. Both sets of fans thought he was absolutely excellent in the FA Cup 3rd Round this year -> Newcastle v Luton

I quite like Swarbrick. He has an obvious personality and will have a laugh with the players. Both sets of fans thought he was absolutely excellent in the FA Cup 3rd Round this year -> Newcastle v Luton

Well that’s it then toon v Luton, fast track him to the World Cup final :p

Last edited by a moderator:

There's been umpteen markets on cards on every match in top two divs for years now.

Absolutely time, get some young blood in and let’s put English refs back on the world stage. Chris Kavannagh, promoted this season, has been absolutely fantastic in the few games he’s had. Would tip him for success in years to come.

He’s a natural everything seems to be at his pace, he seems to have all the time in the world.

Just got a great call in the Fulham game.

Doesn’t come accross one bit arrogant either, I’ve liked him when I’ve seen him & tonight has rubber stamped that.

Back