A&H

Joey Bartons Red Card - right or wrong?

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Having read all of his tweets about this, I've come to the decision that Joey Barton is indeed a tool of the highest order.

Anyway, do you agree with the sending off or not?

The Referee Store
I like him saying that he has seen 25 replays and none show he did anything.... he should have know whether he headbutted or not and was probably only looking at the replay to see whether he got caught.
Anyway rewind the play 5 or so seconds and you see Barton throw an elbow at the Norwich player.

The thing in question was however how the on field officials dealt with it which in my inexperienced opinion was very strangely.

Got to agree with you Colin, was very strange indeed on how it was dealt with. Garth Crooks andy Mark bright were saying that it was the assistant on the far side that must have buzzed the referee to alert him, i would have thought he would have flagged it to be honest

yep this is what i've been saying, there was no signal then barton was sent off for a foul that had happend minutes ago. also shaun derry should be sorted out, no wonder ref made "strange" decision when that pratt was in his face like that!
as a newcastle fan, Barton is indeed a tool of the highest order

also what could be the possible ways to handle a situation where a player comes to you and says ive been headbutted or elbowed, and youve got car's rather than nar's. i have only had it once and i told him i was following the play your a defender with the attackers behind me. i will keep an eye on them now but please be patient with me if i dont see it

also what could be the possible ways to handle a situation where a player comes to you and says ive been headbutted or elbowed, and youve got car's rather than nar's. i have only had it once and i told him i was following the play your a defender with the attackers behind me. i will keep an eye on them now but please be patient with me if i dont see it
Ive too been in a similar incident. Missed an elbow, as like you was following the play. Turned round to a lot of angry men, one with blood pouring from his head, and not able to do a thing about it. I could have guessed, as i did have a rough idea of who it was, but couldn't be sure. All i could do was explain that i hadn't seen it, and that id be keeping a close eye on things

He doesn't have to headbutt him; he only needs to attempt to do so, in the opinion of the referee. Also: the elbow, the pushes and the rest are also worthy of punishment.

Back