A&H

Joel Veltman throws sportsmanship out window...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Yes but how would you report it? USB ok and then? I'm not sure the LOTG have sth on that?

I saw this an wondered how long before it went up on here. Defo USB - especially at lower levels if we don't intervene and caution he will likely get kicked or punch imminently.

exact laws aside this guy is A-hole of the week.

yes. unsporting behaviour. shows a lack of respect for the game

I think Nalbi means which category of unsporting behaviour. I think Andy is right: it's unspecified.

Funnily enough I had my first every USB/Unspecified at the weekend. After the match a home team player came to shake my hand and the home captain said "What are you doing shaking his hand?" Yellow card.

A minute or two later the player, who to his credit took no notice of his captain and was visibly annoyed, said to him, "Why are you telling me not to shake the referee's hand?"

"Because he's a c**t." Straight red.

Failing to respect in my opinion.

In my playing days he'd be needing the assistance of specially liveried van to take him home via ED.

Hmmmmm....whilst unsporting the referee didn't blow and was playing advantage..to me play on and a slap round the ear from the green players manager for not playing to the whistle! Whilst unsporting and an absolute Kxob, I don't see how you could caution for this....although willing to be convinced.

I think Nalbi means which category of unsporting behaviour. I think Andy is right: it's unspecified.

Funnily enough I had my first every USB/Unspecified at the weekend. After the match a home team player came to shake my hand and the home captain said "What are you doing shaking his hand?" Yellow card.

A minute or two later the player, who to his credit took no notice of his captain and was visibly annoyed, said to him, "Why are you telling me not to shake the referee's hand?"

"Because he's a c**t." Straight red.
Showing yellow or red cards after the match has ended? Am I wrong in thinking that's 'old' law and it's just reported as misconduct now?

Showing yellow or red cards after the match has ended? Am I wrong in thinking that's 'old' law and it's just reported as misconduct now?
I'm afraid it is still very much part of your duties, quoting directly from the LOTG:
"has the authority to take disciplinary action from entering the field of play for the pre-match inspection until leaving the field of play after the match ends (including kicks from the penalty mark)."
"has the power to show yellow or red cards from entering the field of play at the start of the match until after the match has ended, including during the half-time interval, extra time and kicks from the penalty mark"

If you're still on the pitch it's cards. After you've left the pitch it's misconduct.

Edit: what Nalbi said

Last edited:
I'm not an fan of using USB when a player hasn't technically broken LOTG but given that there is a player down injured I do feel that Veltman is taking the p@&s in this particular instance.

Wow. Not dealt with at all, and it was right in front of AR!
I think the ref/AR were just as baffled as the defender was! totally unexpected and shameful act of unsportsmanship to be honest. I read some excerpts of the interviews he gave after the game saying that some of his own team mates had you done this to us you would be on a stretcher.

But here is a curve ball, suppose you decide to deal with it as a referee what will your actions be? Stop play? IDFK and YC? I think we all agreed on the YC being issued, not sure if you will stop the game? or for the safety of the cheeky b**** you stop the game and caution him so things don't quickly boil over?

has the power to show yellow or red cards from entering the field of play at the start of the match until after the match has ended
And when does the match end?
My match will end once I've blown the whistle to do so. I may take disciplinary action until I'll left the field of play but it doesn't say I should show cards.

But here is a curve ball, suppose you decide to deal with it as a referee what will your actions be? Stop play? IDFK and YC? I think we all agreed on the YC being issued, not sure if you will stop the game? or for the safety of the cheeky b**** you stop the game and caution him so things don't quickly boil over?

@Nalbi has asked the question I was thinking.

We're all (I think) in agreement that a YC is required, but do you wait till the next stoppage to administer it, or do you blow up and award a free kick as ..." commits any other offence, not mentioned in the laws, for which play is stopped to caution a player"?

Just blow up, indirect free kick and caution. You are stopping play for an act of misconduct, so don't need to wait for a break in play. Guarantee that no one will complain, whereas if you let play got on and a goal is scored you have got big, big problems.

Sometimes you just need to give the right decision, even if it isn't technically the correct decision.

Surely if you see this, you should stop the game, caution and restart from the place of the offence with an indirect freekick?

Like WD said, allow this to go without stopping play at grassroots level and the offending player/team score a goal as a direct result, all hell is likely to break loose! :confused::mad:

Edit:- SNAP! Was posting from phone and Rusty beat me to it. :D

And when does the match end?
My match will end once I've blown the whistle to do so. I may take disciplinary action until I'll left the field of play but it doesn't say I should show cards.

The end of the match is not the cut-off for issuing cards. It's when the referee leaves the field of play after the end of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back