A&H

Jersey switch

Kevsam

During a high school game last night the one team had a PK. A field player switched jerseys with the goalie to be the goalie for the PK then switches back to a his field player jersey. Is this legal for them to do? Please help.

The Referee Store
@Kevsam appears to be asking about US high school soccer. US high school does not use the laws of the game, but uses a set of rules from NFHS that are very close, but not exact. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the NFHS rules are the same on this provision and the swap is permissible.

Even comps under laws of the game may have their own more restrictive rules around keeper switch. One comp I did regularly required the new keeper to have a 'keeper jersey' with the same number as his player jersey which is the one on the team sheet.

In practice, use common sense. Same thing applies to when players have to change jersey due to blood on them.

I have allowed keeper switch without any jersey change in KFTPM.

@Kevsam appears to be asking about US high school soccer. US high school does not use the laws of the game, but uses a set of rules from NFHS that are very close, but not exact. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the NFHS rules are the same on this provision and the swap is permissible.
Correct - NFHS Rule 3, Section 5 states:
The goalkeeper may change places with a player on the field whenever the clock is stopped or a substitution takes place, provided the uniforms are legal. Any time the goalkeeper is changed, a referee shall be notified.

Back