A&H

Jay Rodriguez Red card Restart?

Andy A

1.03 in the video.

Thoughts? In real time from behind the goal I thought it was a red so can see why Assistant called it, but then when I saw a replay on twitter on my phone 5 minutes later I couldn't believe it.

Assistant referee called it, but the ref was clearly looking at the incident as you can see in the video and played on. They blazed a shot over.

Ref goes over to assistant and then bins Rodriguez.

He then restarts play with a free kick from where the incident took place, is that really correct? I'd have restarted with the goal kick, would I have been wrong?

The Referee Store

1.03 in the video.

Thoughts? In real time from behind the goal I thought it was a red so can see why Assistant called it, but then when I saw a replay on twitter on my phone 5 minutes later I couldn't believe it.

Assistant referee called it, but the ref was clearly looking at the incident as you can see in the video and played on. They blazed a shot over.

Ref goes over to assistant and then bins Rodriguez.

He then restarts play with a free kick from where the incident took place, is that really correct? I'd have restarted with the goal kick, would I have been wrong?
Rescinded = Correct
Not sure what you're referring to regarding the restart

Sorry I didn't explain the restart part too well.

Basically the ref played advantage and they shot over the bar, so it's a goalkick.

Then he notices his Assistant has his flag up and goes over to him.

After the red, he restarted play by giving Sheffield Wednesday a freekick from where the 'sending off' offence occurred instead of a goal kick.

Sorry I didn't explain the restart part too well.

Basically the ref played advantage and they shot over the bar, so it's a goalkick.

Then he notices his Assistant has his flag up and goes over to him.

After the red, he restarted play by giving Sheffield Wednesday a freekick from where the 'sending off' offence occurred instead of a goal kick.
The restart is determined by the first event, even if it was missed by the referee. If the referee decides to act on advice received from an AR, that event occurred first and that event determines the restart

The restart is determined by the first event, even if it was missed by the referee. If the referee decides to act on advice received from an AR, that event occurred first and that event determines the restart

Okay thanks for that, the reason I was unsure is that the ref was clearly looking at the apparent stamp and signaled play on advantage, and then brought it back after the ball had gone dead after consulting with his assistant.

Restart should have been a goal kick.

Even if you are allowed to bring play back after signaling advantage (which I believe you can't at the level in England), you can't do it after a pass and completely controlled pass and poorly executed shot on goal, and 6 seconds of play.

I think the referee thought he is entitled to do so because he missed the severity of the foul (even though he saw it as a foul).

What would be an interesting scenario is that if he missed the entire incident altogether.

But the ref hasn't missed the foul - just the severity of it.
The ref saw the foul and played advantage. So, restart is a GK.

If the ref completely missed the foul then yes, you'd go back to the FK. Well, I suppose you could stick to the play continuing and call that advantage......

Anyway, can't see anything in this clip over whether or not a RC is justified.

Even if you are allowed to bring play back after signaling advantage (which I believe you can't at the level in England), you can't do it after a pass and completely controlled pass and poorly executed shot on goal, and 6 seconds of play.

new instruction to me, can you elaborate? cant recall ever seeing any time limit in any LOTG book. to quote 6 secs makes you sound like an uneducated fan or coach, and might leave a new ref on here thinking that's the way to do it

new instruction to me, can you elaborate? cant recall ever seeing any time limit in any LOTG book. to quote 6 secs makes you sound like an uneducated fan or coach, and might leave a new ref on here thinking that's the way to do it
Trolling again?
He's right, you can't. LOTG used to have guidance of a few seconds, doesn't now but that's never changed.

But you know this, given the experience you claim you have.

There are 2 events here. 1 is the foul, for which advantage is played. The referee doesnt see the "stamp".
Lotg say that advantage should not be played in cases of SFP, VC or SBO so if VC was missed advantage shouldnt have been played (there was no immediate opportunity of a goal being scored).
So I think on that basis it was probably right to go back to the "missed" event and start from there.
Thought Jay Rodrigues was unlucky to be sent off. Looked innocuous, at worst.

Similar incident to the Rangers Celtic game when the Rangers striker "stamped" on the Celtic lad, in these incidents only the player involved 100% knows if hes done it deliberately.

There are 2 events here. 1 is the foul, for which advantage is played. The referee doesnt see the "stamp".
Lotg say that advantage should not be played in cases of SFP, VC or SBO so if VC was missed advantage shouldnt have been played (there was no immediate opportunity of a goal being scored).
So I think on that basis it was probably right to go back to the "missed" event and start from there.
Thought Jay Rodrigues was unlucky to be sent off. Looked innocuous, at worst.
This was my interpretation
Ref played advantage for one event (foul), but brought play back for another event (dismissal on AR advice)
I can see why others are questioning this however

For me the stamp is part of the foul which makes them all the same "event". Unless the actually happen a signinficant time apart.

A normal reckless foul (like a slide tackle) has multiple contacts, you are not justified to call those as mutiple events and issue multiple yellow cards.

For me the stamp is part of the foul which makes them all the same "event". Unless the actually happen a signinficant time apart.

A normal reckless foul (like a slide tackle) has multiple contacts, you are not justified to call those as mutiple events and issue multiple yellow cards.
I can live with that
Guess we'll never know because it depends what the ref thought he saw and what the AR said
I was really black & white on first viewing (seeing only @JamesL 's interpretation). Didn't even consider an alternate
So good OP by @Andy A

The referee didn't see the stamp, and that is what the red card is for, not the tackle. Therefore he hasn't played advantage as you can't play advantage from an offence you haven't see, and that makes DFK the correct restart.

Here is a hypothetical. What would the referee have done if the shot had gone in?

What would the comments here be? Great advantage right? :)

The referee didn't see the stamp, and that is what the red card is for, not the tackle. Therefore he hasn't played advantage as you can't play advantage from an offence you haven't see, and that makes DFK the correct restart.

No he hasn't but is he right to restart the play with a free kick for a foul (that the assistant has given) rather than the goal kick, the referee did see the incident ( i think) and choose to let play continue (not an advantage)

After watching again it looks like hes signalling advantage.

After watching again it looks like hes signalling advantage.
There's an initial offence committed, where the player is knocked down, as this happens, the ball comes free and quickly moves upfield. The referee signals advantage.

As the referee turns, a player from the defending team appears to bring his foot down on an opponent (the player that was initially fouled), and this is what the AR calls him over for after.

So, the sequence is:

foul
advantage
RC offence
poor shot toward goal

As the referee didn't see the RC offence, and the AR did, he brings the play back to that point.

I once dismissed for something similar but not quite the same, Tackle came in, 2 players entangled, ball squirts off 30 yards away, everyone was following the ball, I'd held back because I knew a tactic of one particular player, right enough, he stamped him, I sent him off to the bewilderment of every man and his dog... Only 2 players knew what he'd done. Shame it wasn't videod as it would be a great training aid to new refs to keep half an eye on 'trouble' players.....

Last edited:
Back