A&H

I've still havent given a card, but got to give my first telling off!!

Dave Mac

I've only been doing kids football so not really expecting to flash the cards.

But under 12's game this weekend a corner came in, attacker had a shot, defender on the line cleared the ball. But (and I was well proud of this!) I'd put myself in a great position to see the ball had crossed the line, added into it the defender was about 3 yards behind the line, but a goal for sure. I then had one of the defender players questioning how I could see it, and I'm more than happy to have a word and explain any decision. I told him what I could see and started to jog back for kick off when he then said again "how the hell could you give a goal for that" and I must say something I never expected happened. I was fuming! I mean to still be questioning me after i'd even explained my decision, so had an even sterner word telling him i'd made the call and I wouldnt tolerate being spoken to by that, at which point he shut up and his manager subbed him.

But I was quiet surprised as doing the kids games its great fun and all played in such good spirit. I was surprised someone questioning my decision was so annoying! Its not like I flipped my lid at him, but I kinda worried taking up refereeing that I'd end up ignoring the players moaning like that to avoid any sort of confrontation, but I just wasnt having him questioning my decision. Plus was told at my refereeing courses that you should never let the player have the last word in a situation!

I'm still waiting to give out my first card though! I just want to get it out the way more than anything!

The Referee Store
Please please please dont feel you need to give a card out and get it out the way. Im 1000% sure when you move from Kids to adult football you will have a few to show then ;).

Its actually a really good thing if you feel you haven't needed to show a card you must be managing the players very well.

As for the little squirt questioning your positioning on the goal you did right to explain to him but you didnt have to do this. Ill explain anything to a player if they TALK to me but the minute they start raising there voice or swear just wave them away and tell them you dont want to know.

Good luck mate !

Theres always that nagging feeling I should be hadning out cards as thats what reds do! lol

But thus far I'm glad I havent needed to, especially with ids games none of the tackles are done with any intentions to hurt each other and once i've blown for a freekick the players are normally back on their feet and shaking hands! Its great!

On a plus point after each game I've done so far both managers have said what a good game I've had so been a nice boost to the confidence for my first few games!

I did have to have a word with one of the club linesman as he was doing his job of flagging for ball in and out and offside fine, but he was also appealling for fouls, hand balls etc all the time and confusing the life out of the kids when one minute he's giving an offisde so the game stops, next he's shouting hand ball they didnt know if they should stop or not! So i just had to tell him to calm it down a bit.

Do you give your linos a chat before the game and tell them you only want offsides and ball in and out no fouls leave them to me etc..

yup I do, I think he was just getting caught up in the moment. I found out after the game it was his sons first game so might have had an effect.

Ah i see he was just "one of them" you do get them lol

Wait til you hear " Im a qualified ref you no "

Please tell me your not still doing reports by hand Lewys? Have the Welsh not come out of the dark ages yet :p :D

Believe it or not, for this season, we have had the multiple cautions forms! Still need to write a full report for red cards. See, we have become a little bit more modern :p

*Flbursh*

So much for no reds this season. Sunday AM 40 minutes Serious Foul Play. Think Torres but with contact. One foot just below the knee, the other just above the ankle.

How the player fouled was able to continue the game was beyond me. *shudder*

Tealeaf, that sounds like a wonderful challenge! Never had such a one myself.. The record of 1 red in about 4 seasons must mean i'm been given easy games eh? ;).

As for using your cards Dave, i'd have probably had the little scamp for that protest - depending on the temperature of the game, but it's always better to learn the man management way first!

it was a really fair game with both sets of lads playing with a smile on their face. He was the only one portesting. The thing going in his favour is he wasnt rasing his voice at any point, had he started to lose it any more i'd have got the card out for sure.

my missus is a primary school teacher and actually knew the kid i was talking about and said i should have booked him as she said he was a right mouthy little so and so at school! :)

my missus is a primary school teacher and actually knew the kid i was talking about and said i should have booked him as she said he was a right mouthy little so and so at school! :)
Had similar incident with my mum, what with her being a headteacher :cool:

Oi, the more bookings you hand out, the more paperwork you need to do. Keep man-management up until it becomes necessary for the game that you give a booking. Always ask yourself: will I lose control of the game by not cautioning/sending off this player? If yes, than do it. If no, than you don't need to.

Back