A&H

It was nice while it lasted...

The Referee Store
This picture has what’s considered “elite” for football

Attachments

• 206683B8-FE6F-4E65-A014-2CFD9C9CF8C2.png
    206683B8-FE6F-4E65-A014-2CFD9C9CF8C2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Still going (for the time being) up here. :)
Hopefully it only lasts the 28 days for all of you, however I’d agree it’s likely to go on longer.

I had a nice tasty Southern League line tomorrow night which has been postponed. I'll be surprised if we're back in 2020.

Same, we may be better prepared than last time but we were originally told 2 weeks which ended in 4 months so we could be waiting a long time.

Agree, at the time of the 23rd March lock down there were 877 cases and 67 deaths. Exactly a month later there were 4152 cases and 718 deaths, if it follows anywhere near the same pattern this time there is absolutely no way they will be unlocking on 2nd December. And in the previous lock down it was total, whereas now schools, colleges and universities stay open, plus it is pretty clear a lot of people will just ignore it. I just can't see how it is going to work and I fear this lock down will last until March or April and that would obviously be curtains for the football season.

Agree, at the time of the 23rd March lock down there were 877 cases and 67 deaths. Exactly a month later there were 4152 cases and 718 deaths, if it follows anywhere near the same pattern this time there is absolutely no way they will be unlocking on 2nd December. And in the previous lock down it was total, whereas now schools, colleges and universities stay open, plus it is pretty clear a lot of people will just ignore it. I just can't see how it is going to work and I fear this lock down will last until March or April and that would obviously be curtains for the football season.
I'd say that you've been overly pessimistic with predictions since March
After watching all PMQs yesterday, it's clear that BJ leans away from locking down and it's the Govt's intention to go back to the Tiered System in four weeks. The snag is that the House will have the final say
Keep in mind that testing and case numbers from March are meaningless as our initial policy was not 'test and trace'
The problem this time round is that whilst the R number was coming down already in T3 areas, it was accelerating everywhere else. We should therefore expect the more draconian national lockdown to have the same effect in all areas as we've seen in T3 Counties
If the Govt. could categorically limit the Lockdown to 4 weeks, I think most of the opponents would be pacified. It's good that sport has been the main focus of contention

Just been confirmed. All non elite football suspended through to Dec 2nd. Youth football suspended too. Hopefully we'll be back out there on Dec 5th.....

Last edited:
Not unexpected, but sad nonetheless. For me, like many others, getting back in the middle has done wonders for my mental health and been a much needed escape from the situation we're in. Fingers crossed we're all back out there on 5th December!

Not unexpected, but sad nonetheless. For me, like many others, getting back in the middle has done wonders for my mental health and been a much needed escape from the situation we're in. Fingers crossed we're all back out there on 5th December!

Absolute concur with that. I left my job in September and refereeing gave me something to focus on whilst I sorted a new job and relocation etc. I just hope we get going again relatively soon.

I'd say that you've been overly pessimistic with predictions since March
After watching all PMQs yesterday, it's clear that BJ leans away from locking down and it's the Govt's intention to go back to the Tiered System in four weeks. The snag is that the House will have the final say
Keep in mind that testing and case numbers from March are meaningless as our initial policy was not 'test and trace'
The problem this time round is that whilst the R number was coming down already in T3 areas, it was accelerating everywhere else. We should therefore expect the more draconian national lockdown to have the same effect in all areas as we've seen in T3 Counties
If the Govt. could categorically limit the Lockdown to 4 weeks, I think most of the opponents would be pacified. It's good that sport has been the main focus of contention

Hope you are right. Agree to an extent on the testing, but test and trace didn't kick in until later than a month after lockdown. And testing is irrelevant for deaths, there can be no argument that deaths were more than ten times higher a month after lockdown than when it was implemented. If there are 3000+ deaths a day come 2nd December there is absolutely zero chance that the lockdown will be lifted.

Just when the waste line was getting back to pre-covid measurements too!

Disappointing but understandable. It’s a physical sport where social distancing is impossible. Not sure about anyone else’s area but a fair few of my games have had a line full of spectators too, despite it being against

Just when the waste line was getting back to pre-covid measurements too!

Disappointing but understandable. It’s a physical sport where social distancing is impossible. Not sure about anyone else’s area but a fair few of my games have had a line full of spectators too, despite it being against
I’ve had very similar no social distancing from parents and one was even like an alleyway type thing with a tree line behind and nooone was moving to let people last with a 1m width everyone was brushing past each other including the COVID officer🙈🤣

I’ve had very similar no social distancing from parents and one was even like an alleyway type thing with a tree line behind and nooone was moving to let people last with a 1m width everyone was brushing past each other including the COVID officer🙈🤣

A covid officer. I thought they were mythical figures! I've certainly never seen one. Social distancing hasn't happened at a single game I've done since August. Not even the slightest attempt. I have seen 2 track and trace scanning posters, but they were at private facilities. I think its probably done a bit better at youth level but at adult grass roots its all been non existent.

With the u-turn on pubs being allowed to sell takeaway beer during lockdown, I live in hope of a u-turn re youth grassroots football.

With the u-turn on pubs being allowed to sell takeaway beer during lockdown, I live in hope of a u-turn re youth grassroots football.
What I don't get, is why on earth anyone would pay £4 a drink when taking away from a pub, when you can get the same thing in Aldi for £1
Other Supermarkets are available!

Back