A&H

Is 5'0 too short for a referee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortRef

Hi guys! I've recently qualified as a ref. I'm only 20 and recently had my first game. As you can tell from the title I'm only 5'0 (152cm if you like). I'm also a guy to clear up confusion.
In my first game (U16s) there was a kid on one team who was around 6'7 I'd say. I called him over at one point for a word for a bad tackle and he was clearly taking the piss. My face just reached his chest. During the conversation he stood really close to me and as straight as he could to make the difference even bigger. Obviously he wasn't actually doing anything so I couldn't do anything. After the game I heard a few ''That ref is so short'' comments not meant for me to hear. Obviously there won't me someone that tall every
game but it got me thinking.
When I was on my course it didn't occur to me, but, considering I want to ref Open Age games in the future, I can only see it being more of a problem. I'll always be the shortest one there by quite a bit, so will it become hard for me to be taken seriously? Like if it was like that with 16 year olds, with fully grown men I can only imagine more dissent and people taking me less seriously.
Is this right? Am I already fighting a losing battle?
Cheers!

The Referee Store
so long as you remember where your red/yellow bits of plastic are
i cant see a problem, the referee who helped me when i qualified
now 86 years old wasnt tall and he did ok good luck

Last edited:
You have to be a little mad to be a referee.... well, you're halfway there already.... :) Good luck, if your old enough, good enough and confident enough then there should be nothing to hold you back

Last edited:
Its is not too short but it does make your job a lot more difficult. My advice to you is to find a good and experienced referee of a short stature and have a chat with him about how to manage situations where showing presence and authority is important or any other difficulties you may have. There are a few tips and tricks they should be able to pass on to you.

I am 5.7" and weigh 60kgs and I never get closer than 2 meters to a player who is 6.0" or taller. If they deliberately try to get close to me for intimidation or taking p!ss, 99 out of a 100 there would be repercussions for them.

You have to be a little mad to be a referee.... well, you're halfway there already.... :) Good luck, if your old enough, good enough and confident enough then there should be nothing to hold you back
Aha I'm mad alright. I just felt like even if I was to card him, I'd just look ridiculous. I wouldn't have carded him anyway, but if I did then I'm almost certain he'd still be higher than the card. I've heard a lot about ref attacks and intimidation and feel being 5'0 and really skinny would make me an inviting target to the average 6'0 guy

Its is not too short but it does make your job a lot more difficult. My advice to you is to find a good and experienced referee of a short stature and have a chat with him about how to manage situations where showing presence and authority is important or any other difficulties you may have. There are a few tips and tricks they should be able to pass on to you.

I am 5.7" and weigh 60kgs and I never get closer than 2 meters to a player who is 6.0" or taller. If they deliberately try to get close to me for intimidation or taking p!ss, 99 out of a 100 there would be repercussions for them.
You're more than a head taller than me! But yeah, I just feel like I'd be an easy target

If your ginger your gonna get it, if your fat, if your short, if your to tall, to young, to old.

No matter what a referees appearance we all share the same thing, a whistle & a pair of cards.

Don’t let your height even enter your head, believe me a red card given by you or a red card given by Anthony Joshua means exactly the same thing, the same with dissent about your height or dissent about my little beer belly the yellow we both give mean the same thing.

It’ll be old news to you sooner or later, as you get more confident on the pitch & work out your own little comeback it won’t affect you as much.

I've heard a lot about ref attacks and intimidation and feel being 5'0 and really skinny would make me an inviting target to the average 6'0 guy
I'm 6ft 3 and 17 stone and people say to me, "players won't mess". Don't believe a word of it. Arguably I'm more of a target then you. Players behave like hyenas regardless of the referee's stature; and i've been on their menu quite a few times. So don't think it's all that different for the rest of us. I think it's good advice to stick with Youth footy for a while before stepping up. I found this approach sensible

I've stupidly stood nose to nose to a few big brutes, luckily 99.999% of the time, the shirt and authority normally causes a climbdown. I've also got in the middle of a few rucks too to split them up........ generally one of the combatants is 5-2', Scottish, not backing down and probably high on Irn Bru.... Size of the Lion doesn't matter, its the heart that maters.....:pirate:

I've stupidly stood nose to nose to a few big brutes, luckily 99.999% of the time, the shirt and authority normally causes a climbdown. I've also got in the middle of a few rucks too to split them up........ generally one of the combatants is 5-2', Scottish, not backing down and probably high on Irn Bru.... Size of the Lion doesn't matter, its the heart that maters.....:pirate:
aw th scottish temprement sf lol

maybe you have to be mad but it helps

You need to be empowered, make sure you tuck your shirt in, does the trick for most on here, long or short, fat or thin.....

I am 5.8 and less than 60 kilos balding and wear glasses. I think nothing of dressing down a six brick outhouse. Its all to do with confidence and a be polite and have a good whistle sound. The ablity to stay calm and polite and firm helps

I am 5.8 and less than 60 kilos balding and wear glasses. I think nothing of dressing down a six brick outhouse. Its all to do with confidence and a be polite and have a good whistle sound. The ablity to stay calm and polite and firm helps
Last time I was that I was about 12 :hmmm:.... keep up the good work Tina!!! :pirate:

As with others, much of your authority comes from your air of confidence, your presentation.
Some players will try to get in your face no matter how tall you are. In the past I've stepped back, put an arm out and VERY firmly told them to not come closer. One option. As others said, might be worth asking a fellow short colleague.
And if a player is getting in your face like that, they've already earned themselves a card.
You're not too short. You'll be fine. You'll probably hear more comments about your height than you're used to so develop a thick skin. But that's a prerequisite for a ref anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back