A&H

Intra-Tier-3 OA Football

The Referee Store
Believe so. Think players are allowed to travel in and out of tier 3 areas. That's it. No spectators.

I am wrong and right. Depends on the level:
Travel
Adults can travel to play grassroots football in between Tier 1 and Tier 2. However, adults cannot travel in and out of Tier 3 to play grassroots football. There are exemptions for travel in and out of Tier 3 for U18s, disability teams, volunteers, elite players and for those travelling for work.

Players and essential club staff at steps 3-6 of the NLS, tiers 3-6 of the Women’s Football Pyramid, the Barclays FA WSL Academy and Regional Talent Clubs can travel into and out of tier 3 areas.

I am wrong and right. Depends on the level:
Travel
Adults can travel to play grassroots football in between Tier 1 and Tier 2. However, adults cannot travel in and out of Tier 3 to play grassroots football. There are exemptions for travel in and out of Tier 3 for U18s, disability teams, volunteers, elite players and for those travelling for work.

Players and essential club staff at steps 3-6 of the NLS, tiers 3-6 of the Women’s Football Pyramid, the Barclays FA WSL Academy and Regional Talent Clubs can travel into and out of tier 3 areas.
Youth/Disability football is allowed without restriction (outdoors)
Step 6 or above can continue with various restrictions (spectators etc.)
Grass-roots OA football... players and match officials cannot travel in/out of tier 3
By Intra-Tier-3 OA, I mean both adult teams are in tier 3, as are the match officials and presumably the players. Nowhere does it say that this is forbidden, yet the CFA's have seemingly presumed it's not allowed

Youth/Disability football is allowed without restriction (outdoors)
Step 6 or above can continue with various restrictions (spectators etc.)
Grass-roots OA football... players and match officials cannot travel in/out of tier 3
By Intra-Tier-3 OA, I mean both adult teams are in tier 3, as are the match officials and presumably the players. Nowhere does it say that this is forbidden, yet the CFA's have seemingly presumed it's not allowed
I think some CFAs are making there own decision I know that some to the north west CFAs delayed their restarts.

I think some CFAs are making there own decision I know that some to the north west CFAs delayed their restarts.
Ironic that most of the criticism the Government took over Lockdown-2, centred around grass-roots sport
Now that Boris 'n' Hancock have conceded 'the benefits outweigh the risks', other 'Bodies' are stepping in to act as our protectors

Last edited:
Players at step 7 and below cannot travel into or out of tier 3. The league that I am involved in is mainly Greater London and South Herts clubs, so 90% went into tier 3 at the start of the week. Ironically those clubs would have been able to carry on playing, and it would be the tier 2 clubs punished as they would have no one to play against. That has all changed today as the remaining tier 2 clubs are now tier 3, although in reality it makes no change to them from a football perspective. You can go anywhere in Greater London, but a team in a tier 3 neighbouring county, e.g. Surrey can't cross the border into Greater London and vice versa.

Referees can cross into and out of tier 3 as they are classed as doing so for work purposes.

Players at step 7 and below cannot travel into or out of tier 3. The league that I am involved in is mainly Greater London and South Herts clubs, so 90% went into tier 3 at the start of the week. Ironically those clubs would have been able to carry on playing, and it would be the tier 2 clubs punished as they would have no one to play against. That has all changed today as the remaining tier 2 clubs are now tier 3, although in reality it makes no change to them from a football perspective. You can go anywhere in Greater London, but a team in a tier 3 neighbouring county, e.g. Surrey can't cross the border into Greater London and vice versa.

Referees can cross into and out of tier 3 as they are classed as doing so for work purposes.
Nailed it. Shame some of the Leagues and CFA's don't know the rules or have taken it upon themselves to kindly act as our protectors
I think the sensible approach is to take a couple of weeks off whilst we all work on our alcoholism, before stumbling back to action in January

Last edited:
Nailed it. Shame some of the Leagues and CFA's don't know the rules or have taken it upon themselves to kindly act as our protectors
I think the sensible approach is to take a couple of weeks off whilst we all work on our alcoholism, before stumbling back to action in January

We've pulled this weekend's fixtures as teams have told us a lot of their players are uncomfortable playing so close to mixing with family over Christmas. We plan to return first weekend in January though.

We've pulled this weekend's fixtures as teams have told us a lot of their players are uncomfortable playing so close to mixing with family over Christmas. We plan to return first weekend in January though.
The Leagues will need a fortnight to re-arrange fixtures appropriately, although I know of one County League who are ploughing on manfully

What about Intra-Tier-4 football?
Answers needed quickly before they announce a new Tier 5 :(😩😢😭

Given tier 4 is total lockdown there's no longer an issue of travelling.

I personally think that has probably killed the season for leagues in or mainly in tier 4. Really can't see things changing if the new strain really is 70% more virulent than the original one, and will be March or April until restrictions are lifted. What a mess ....

Today’s results (to be read in the voice of James Alexander Gordon)

Crystal Palace 4 Liverpool 2

Southampton 2 Manchester City 3

Everton 2 Arsenal 4

Newcastle 3 Fulham 4

Given tier 4 is total lockdown there's no longer an issue of travelling.

I personally think that has probably killed the season for leagues in or mainly in tier 4. Really can't see things changing if the new strain really is 70% more virulent than the original one, and will be March or April until restrictions are lifted. What a mess ....
Always rely on Rusty to cheer us up!
Newcastle 3 Fulham 4
And RefJef can take a run'n'jump an'all

The big question is whether the new Tier 4 rules will affect elite and non-elite football. Grassroots will be effectivy suspended by the instruction not to travel.

Will the FA, EPL and EFL change their guidence?

The big question is whether the new Tier 4 rules will affect elite and non-elite football. Grassroots will be effectivy suspended by the instruction not to travel.

Will the FA, EPL and EFL change their guidence?

It has been described as the same as the November / December lockdown, so I would assume not.

Realistically when is the latest that a restart to the season can happen to be able to finish leagues? If we we're restarting in February does that give us enough time to finish leagues? I'll be honest, i can't see many leagues finishing this season now.

Realistically when is the latest that a restart to the season can happen to be able to finish leagues? If we we're restarting in February does that give us enough time to finish leagues? I'll be honest, i can't see many leagues finishing this season now.
Depends where you are. If you crap cups you might squeeze leagues in. The leagues will need to be extended into summer imo

Statement from the FA below. Strangely all U18 football is allowed to carry on in tier 4, not just elite academies as per the previous lock down ...

FA STATEMENT – 19 DECEMBER

An update for ‘Non-Elite’ football in England following latest Covid-19 Tier 4 restrictions

Further to the government’s announcement this evening with regards to the introduction of Tier 4 areas and the latest information on Covid-19, football for adult participants across ‘non-elite’ football in Tier 4 areas is not permitted, including all training and fixtures.

This immediate advice in place from 20 December applies to the following aspects of ‘non-elite’ football in England in Tier 4 areas:

Steps 3-6 of the National League System [NLS];

Tiers 3-7 of the Women’s Football Pyramid [WFP];

Regional NLS Feeder Leagues;

Indoor and outdoor adult grassroots football.

The Vitality Women’s FA Cup is currently classified as ‘non-elite’ at this stage in the competition.

The Government’s Tier 4 guidance states organised outdoor sport for under 18s and disabled people will be allowed. The Government’s guidelines on travel between Tiers should be adhered to. These players cannot move in or out of Tier 4 to train or play.

The Government’s Tier 4 guidance confirms that elite sportspeople (and their coaches if necessary, or parents/guardians if they are under 18) are able to compete and train.

It is extremely important that clubs, players, coaches, match officials, league officials, volunteers, parents, carers, and facility providers in Tiers 1-3 (and permitted football in Tier 4) continue to strictly follow both the UK Government's latest guidance on COVID-19 and respective bespoke guidance documents from the FA. Any incidents of non-compliance will be reported to the local County Football Association.

If there are any further updates from Government we will communicate these in due course.

Back