A&H

Intervention level

Mace

Level 7 Referee
Hi all, newly qualified, ex player, I think that my level for physical contact may be to high, I done two games last week, one adult and one U18, everyone was appealing for FK for what I call general physical play, I'm concerned that if I start giving what I think are soft free kicks the game will be rubbish, but on the other hand if I don't them, they can escalate and cause other problem. Is this just an experience thing, any advice would be appreciated.

The Referee Store
The surprising thing moving from player to refereeing is just how much nonsense is talked on the pitch by players, which you didn't notice when you were a player. Claims for everything, from the most innocuous challenge, foul throw, in the back, offside, tying my laces ref, that was never a foul ref, he can't talk to you like that ref, the list goes on and on.

Not say that players aren't correct sometimes mind....

Is it just players moaning and appealing for everything or do you think you genuinely did let some challenges go?

general moaning and appealing in the main, let one or two go, but only where I didn't believe it to be foul, just worried I have a high tolerance! I enjoyed the physicality of football when I played.:)

You may well have enjoyed the game as a player ..Mace ..my first season reffing was exactly the same wanting to be mates with all the players and seeing thing from their side ....

This will pass....... as you will soon find out they are out to manipulate every situation they can ....as you probably did yourself ??

every game on its merits , but the more physical you let it get the more chance you have of something kicking off and making it a hard game for you ?

so long as you have a general feeling on the temp of the game , you should be fine

Me too mace, I can relate to that.

The problem is that if you were to blow for everything they moaned about, you will be too strict and spoiling the game! :) I now tend to higher and lower my tolerances in line with the type of game ahead. Or sometimes set the bar early with some softer decisions just to show where my tolerances are.

There is a happy balance in there somewhere... Comes with a bit of experience and reflection on the games you complete. Also really helps to watch other local refs whenever you get the chance.

I got assessed today and the assessor mentioned I let to many "pushes" go, the ones from the keeper in the middle of the field, none were excessive the type you see 30 times a game. I said so I'm supposed to give them every time, then we'd have no game. Suggestion was to make passing comment to the main offenders. I have 1 or 2 but in my opinion it's one of those things that happen, but of the assessor wants it then the next they can have the free kicks, just think match control would be lost if you blow every 3 minutes for these very minor offences. In my opinion.

I got assessed today and the assessor mentioned I let to many "pushes" go, the ones from the keeper in the middle of the field, none were excessive the type you see 30 times a game. I said so I'm supposed to give them every time, then we'd have no game. Suggestion was to make passing comment to the main offenders. I have 1 or 2 but in my opinion it's one of those things that happen, but of the assessor wants it then the next they can have the free kicks, just think match control would be lost if you blow every 3 minutes for these very minor offences. In my opinion.

In my experience if you do this for just the first ten minutes or so, it will stop 90% of it through rest of game if you make it clear why you've blown up

I got assessed today and the assessor mentioned I let to many "pushes" go, the ones from the keeper in the middle of the field.
You have keepers pushing in the middle of the field????? :D

Only kidding. I agree with herts - set your stall early and try and be consistent. Also helps to have a good side on position for identifying these pushes.

I used to like the physical aspect of the game and when I started refereeing was along the lines it's a contact sport. However players will push things as much as they can. If you let the game start quite physically, then there is less room for it to escalate. Things can boil over quicker. Also in my experience it can just encourage more players to become physical trying to get revenge. So can lead to the mild mannered players flying into tackles. It can also be hard to win round a game that has heated up.

Since the game is not for you, I'd suggest you adapt your tolerance level to something closer to what the players are prepared to put up with.

That said, if both teams are playing equally physically, and you're happy with the level of physicality (it doesn't cross the line into carelessness, so far as you're concerned), then you can easily tell them "You're playing just as hard as he is, so I'm letting you both play on."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back