A&H

Interpretation of Law 4 - Shinguards

Umps

Level 9 Referee
I am trainee ref and new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the interpretation of Law 4 in relation to shinguards, which seems to be very loosely worded. I was watching a junior game last weekend and one of the kids seemed to be were wearing socks that had integrated shinguards sewn into them. I only noticed because the kid slid into a challenge and the shin guard part ripped out of the sock and his Dad gave him a fresh pair to put on. The ref didn't say anything, but it got me thinking about the interpretation of the shinguard rule. Does anyone know if a sock with integrated shinguard is legal? Presumably if it is "covered entirely by the stockings" then it could be acceptable? What if it was imbedded into the sock but partially exposed?

I also wonder about the interpretation of the "reasonable degree of protection" a shinguard must provide. I have seen kids put cardboard under their socks and get away with it, but surely that should be illegal.

The Referee Store
I am trainee ref and new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the interpretation of Law 4 in relation to shinguards, which seems to be very loosely worded. I was watching a junior game last weekend and one of the kids seemed to be were wearing socks that had integrated shinguards sewn into them. I only noticed because the kid slid into a challenge and the shin guard part ripped out of the sock and his Dad gave him a fresh pair to put on. The ref didn't say anything, but it got me thinking about the interpretation of the shinguard rule. Does anyone know if a sock with integrated shinguard is legal? Presumably if it is "covered entirely by the stockings" then it could be acceptable? What if it was imbedded into the sock but partially exposed?

I also wonder about the interpretation of the "reasonable degree of protection" a shinguard must provide. I have seen kids put cardboard under their socks and get away with it, but surely that should be illegal.
Where have you seen cardboard put under socks? We've all heard tales of people putting phone directories and books down their socks but those tales belong in the 70s and 80s (yes kids we did have football before the Premier League and SKY came into being).

As far as advice is concerned, if you think it will protect the player, let them play. If you don't, then as referee you have the power to ask them to correct their equipment and to refuse to let them play if they fail to comply. Just be aware that if you turn a blind eye this week, you make life harder for the referee that follows you who says they're not safe. Err on the side of caution and if you have any doubt, ask them to use what might be commonly referred to as "proper shinguards".

These shin pads are made by companies which have to sell products which are safe to use in the manner they are designed for. The likes of Adidas, Nike etc make this shin pads and they are just as safe as normal sets you're used to seeing.

I used to wear a set of these until I slid on Astro and ripped them. I like being able to take the pads out when I'm not playing and walk around with socks down so they weren't ideal for me. But they are good and definitely safe. A lot less likely to twist and fly out that the regular slide-in type :)

Can't really see why shinpads inserted into the socks would necessarily offer any less protection than normal shinpads. How many players have shinpads which don't have straps or anything but just sit behind the sock anyway?

Where have you seen cardboard put under socks? .

My U/18 team did it, so that's less than 15 years ago. Forgotten shinpads? Easy fix!

It does happen.

my shinpads are non-strappy - just tuck them in the socks, bit of tape on top and below (of course the correct colour tape) and bobs your aunty

Thanks for all the replies, it seems that there is quite a bit of flexibility in the law then? So as long as I (the referee) deems them to be safe then that is acceptable.

As for the cardboard in the socks, it still goes on I promise you! Usually when someone has forgotten to bring their shinguards. Maybe socks with built in shinguards is the answer to this!

Back