A&H

Interesting Handfball

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Now as we know usually journalists' interpretations of the laws are not to be relied on (understatement of the year). But respected journalist Kevin Pullein of the Racing Post set me thinking this morning. In summary he said that accidental handball by an attacker should still be allowed if he himself doesn't touch the ball afterwards even if a goal scoring opportunity is created by the accidental touch. Reading the law it does say it is an offence if the player who has touched the ball

"THEN gains possession/control of the ball and creates a gs opportunity or scores"

So reading that - an accidental touch on hand/arm that falls directly to a team mate should NOT be penalised

Correct?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Now as we know usually journalists' interpretations of the laws are not to be relied on (understatement of the year). But respected journalist Kevin Pullein of the Racing Post set me thinking this morning. In summary he said that accidental handball by an attacker should still be allowed if he himself doesn't touch the ball afterwards even if a goal scoring opportunity is created by the accidental touch. Reading the law it does say it is an offence if the player who has touched the ball

"THEN gains possession/control of the ball and creates a gs opportunity or scores"

So reading that - an accidental touch on hand/arm that falls directly to a team mate should NOT be penalised

Correct?

Thanks
Yes, the Law analysts on here have already discussed this. Not only have IFAB taken the 'spirit of the game too far, but the guidance given to elite referees has fabricated mythical wording from the book

Yes, the Law analysts on here have already discussed this. Not only have IFAB taken the 'spirit of the game too far, but the guidance given to elite referees has fabricated mythical wording from the book

Cheers - sorry missed the previous discussion obviously!

I think first round a Man City goal was disallowed this way. It ended up in a few pages of discussion if you can find the thread.

Last edited:
Back