A&H

Interesting game

Mike

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
So, I've only ever done up to U14 (although up to OA on the line), and have only ever had two County Cup matches (which didn't go too well... http://refchat.co.uk/threads/one-of-those-games.4214/). This afternoon I get an email sending me about as far away as is possible in Herts for an U16 match without even telling the appointments officer that I was available (I still play and tell him my availability on a weekly basis).

Do you think I should
a) Say a polite 'no thanks', and state my reasons, i.e. wanting to play
b) Take it as they clearly have some faith in me?

The Referee Store
I am always of the school of thought that you should accept any fixture sent your way (if you are available) and referee the b'jaysus out of it!

That is just my view. :D

So, I've only ever done up to U14 (although up to OA on the line), and have only ever had two County Cup matches (which didn't go too well... http://refchat.co.uk/threads/one-of-those-games.4214/). This afternoon I get an email sending me about as far away as is possible in Herts for an U16 match without even telling the appointments officer that I was available (I still play and tell him my availability on a weekly basis).

Do you think I should
a) Say a polite 'no thanks', and state my reasons, i.e. wanting to play
b) Take it as they clearly have some faith in me?
I'm assuming you've been sent to either Stortford or Sawbo? Definitely turn it down, horrendous place ;)

In all seriousness, if you're available, do the game!

I'm assuming you've been sent to either Stortford or Sawbo? Definitely turn it down, horrendous place ;)

In all seriousness, if you're available, do the game!
Baldock actually, but guess it could be worse! (agree with you re Stortford/Sawbo). Coming down on the side of doing it tbh, what's the worst that can happen... :eek:

Last edited:
It's not that you told him you were available, but you didn't tell them you were not!

A ref is always open unles date is closed, and if closed with MOAS / CFA, God help you if you do a game elsewhere.

Make you excuses if you really can't do it, but down here it would be a mark on your card and be remembered for a long, long time.

Right, I've decided that I can't leave my team with just 10 players. It would make no difference if it was and Under 10 game or an Under 16 game.
Does this sound alright? Feel quite bad about it but hopefully he'll see my angle:

Hi Norman

Thanks very much for the appointment next Sunday at Baldock, I appreciate the fact that you have given me the game. However, I am meant to be playing in Harpenden, and the kick off time is not yet known. Whilst I would like to do the game, I am afraid that I can't leave my team short of players, and am very sorry but will have to decline the fixture. Obviously, if you can't get anyone else to do it then I will cover it.

Sorry again.
Michael Ives

Reactions: SM
@Mike I wouldn't say if you can't get anyone I'll do it, it makes your decision seem more of a choice than it is, your date is either closed or not. But the rest seems fine.

@Mike I wouldn't say if you can't get anyone I'll do it, it makes your decision seem more of a choice than it is, your date is either closed or not. But the rest seems fine.
Agreed with this

Assuming it's the Norman I think it is, he's a very understandable man. His only grievance will be that you've left it till now to turn it down! He has enough officials that he can cover this fixture

Agreed with this

Assuming it's the Norman I think it is, he's a very understandable man. His only grievance will be that you've left it till now to turn it down! He has enough officials that he can cover this fixture
Yep I'll take that bit out. Left it until now because I was waiting for my kick off time to appear. It hasn't :(

Well, not as bad as the two the other week so that's good. Pitch was in horrendous condition, it took considerable effort to run up the hill through what would have been more at home in a farmer's field (although ball still rolled okay and no water around). Ended up running around it or it wouldn't have kept up... Had one of those penalties where you and potentially 2 other players can see it, cue uproar, but I'm still confident it was.

Another penalty to the same team in the second half, keeper takes down attacker near the goal line in the corner of the box. All in agreement, I think the dissent was better managed (except one bloke who wandered over at the end claiming I should have sent the keeper off, even though he was in the bottom corner of the box and going away from goal).

Improvement! :)

IF its Mr Appleby you've been speaking to then you couldn't wish for a more understanding sec. Top bloke but as has been said, when they come a knockin, I would just accept the county game. Lets be honest, you dont want to miss out on progressing in your referees career because of one game with your team. We are lucky in Herts but even still, there is a limit and people wont forget declining fixtures. Glad it all worked out though mate.

Back