A&H

injury's and subs

bendan

Yesterday in a FA cup tie the home team had made 3 subs at once with 40mins to go, 20mins later their goalkeeper suffered a nasty injury,was concussed and lost several teeth in an accidental collision. Gather he had been concussed several weeks earlier. REf suspended the game for treatment and for an ambulance to arrive.
Both teams went into changing rooms. After approx 20mins after injured player left away team came back onto pitch, home team refused saying some of their players too upset to continue, Ref then abandoned the game and said the score stands at 0-0 and said there will be a reply back at the home teams ground.???
I understand the concern over the injured player but surely the match should have been awarded to the away team
This was an official FA cup tie. any help please.

The Referee Store
Be interested what rule covers this as it could cause a precedent in the future, stress again it was a nasty injury and thankfully the GK is out of hospital, but this could leave teams open to emotional manipulation of the ref and games.??? very confused.

Be interested what rule covers this as it could cause a precedent in the future, stress again it was a nasty injury and thankfully the GK is out of hospital, but this could leave teams open to emotional manipulation of the ref and games.??? very confused.

Not sure why it is confusing you, this will be covered under competition rules, not the laws of the game.

I don’t know the specifics of the FA cup, but normally the competitions rules will state that if more than x minutes have been played before a game is abandoned then the score stands else the game is replayed.

From the FA Challenge Cup rules
First Matches which are Postponed or Abandoned
(i) When a first match has been postponed, or is abandoned before the completion of 90 minutes and neither Club being at fault, it shall be played on the same ground:

Therefore, the match has to be replayed, no option of awarding the game. The replay must be paid buy this Thursday, to allow time for a replay (if necessary), without delaying the next round of games.

Its the neither club being at fault, as the home club refused to play on with 10 men thats confusing me.???

From the FA Challenge Cup rules

Therefore, the match has to be replayed, no option of awarding the game. The replay must be paid buy this Thursday, to allow time for a replay (if necessary), without delaying the next round of games.

Unless the FA deem that one team was at fault, i.e. the one that refused to carry on playing. I'm not sure being too upset to carry on is going to wash at that level of football.

i since gather that the ref asked both teams if they were alright to carry on and the home team said no?? surprise surprise the plot thickens.

Yesterday in a FA cup tie the home team had made 3 subs at once with 40mins to go, 20mins later their goalkeeper suffered a nasty injury,was concussed and lost several teeth in an accidental collision. Gather he had been concussed several weeks earlier. REf suspended the game for treatment and for an ambulance to arrive.
Both teams went into changing rooms. After approx 20mins after injured player left away team came back onto pitch, home team refused saying some of their players too upset to continue, Ref then abandoned the game and said the score stands at 0-0 and said there will be a reply back at the home teams ground.???
I understand the concern over the injured player but surely the match should have been awarded to the away team
This was an official FA cup tie. any help please.
The referee doesn't award the winner of the match in this instance. The referee reports the facts and the FA determines what the outcome is.

The referee reports the details about the injury (how it occurred, time it took, etc), and the conversation had with the players.

As a referee, don't push the players in this situation. Might be worth mentioning that you don't know how the FA will look at it, but the decision to not continue is understandable.

And don't bother feeding the trolls.

It seems that perhaps you're getting too hung up on the notion that a) the referee has decided on the replay or that b) the issue has already been definitely decided one way or the other.

I suspect that neither is true - as several people have pointed out it's definitely not up to the referee to decide and from the way I read the OP no official decision had yet been handed down.

In addition to the section of the regulations quoted by @lincs22 there is also the following clause:
(iii) Matches abandoned through the fault of the Clubs shall be dealt with by the Professional Game Board.**

So I would say, wait until an official decision has been handed down as to whether the game should be replayed or not and the reasons for that decision being given become apparent (assuming they are publicly available) before getting too upset about it.

Sound advice, but the replay is planned for tomorrow night, do the FA act that quickly to respond to this.

Mate if the game has been already rescheduled as you say that means that the FA are involved. As the decision to reschedule and appoint referees is carried out by the FA solely and not the counties, the leagues or the home club for the matter.

It’s always been the same.....clubs know exactly how to manipulate the situation.

The club refusing to play on knew it would be extremely unlikely for them to forfeit the game so they claim they are too upset to continue knowing that they will have time to source a replacement keeper for the replay.

The OP can be either way. If the keeper was genuinely in a bad shape then it is also a good chance the team would not have played even with 11 players.

A few years ago my home team AFL (Australian Rules footy) was up by 40 point at 3/4 time. Equivalent of being 3 or 4 goals up with 15 to go in football . Their assistant coach had a heart attack and went to hospital in an ambulance. The team lost the game.

I guess the learning from OP is as a referee suspend the game and show simpathy. Don't persuade them to played or not play and don't tell them what the outcome is. Just report the facts whatever they decide.

its a really difficult one as we are a step 5 club playing a step 2 club away from home, more then likely we would have gone on and won and we may not catch them cold again. Feel for their gk and can see both sides, but surely rules are rules.

Why have they bottled it? As I understand it the score was 0-0 at the time of abandonment. If your team had been leading at the time I would understand your frustration a little bit.

Back