A&H

Injury time in injury time

Deano10

I watched a game on TV a few years ago. There were 4 mins of injury time being played. 3 mins and 30 secs into time added on, a goalkeeper suffered a head injury and the game stopped for 6 mins while the keeper was treated.

When the game restarted, the referee added the 6 mins on to the remaining 30 seconds... Why? There were only 30 seconds left on the clock. Shouldn't the game have only lasted 30 seconds once the game restarted?

Can someone please explain why this happened?

Thanks in advance.

The Referee Store
Was it a Man City game, since they got oily money their luck has increased no end....Peptime or something!! :devil:

I watched a game on TV a few years ago. There were 4 mins of injury time being played. 3 mins and 30 secs into time added on, a goalkeeper suffered a head injury and the game stopped for 6 mins while the keeper was treated.

When the game restarted, the referee added the 6 mins on to the remaining 30 seconds... Why? There were only 30 seconds left on the clock. Shouldn't the game have only lasted 30 seconds once the game restarted?

Can someone please explain why this happened?

Thanks in advance.
The additional time that is shown on the board and announced to the crowd is a minimum amount not a maximum one. If there are further stoppages within "injury time" then the referee can and should also add on this time. However they will normally only do this when there has been a truly obvious stoppage (like the GK injury you describe) as otherwise controversy often ensues! :)

The additional time that is shown on the board and announced to the crowd is a minimum amount not a maximum one. If there are further stoppages within "injury time" then the referee can and should also add on this time. However they will normally only do this when there has been a truly obvious stoppage (like the GK injury you describe) as otherwise controversy often ensues! :)
But if a referee indicates 4 and a keeper is injured for 6 then you'd play to a minimum of 100 not 106.
I had this once with a manager who made a sub as my minimum time was up. He was surprised when I blew up a few seconds later a he thought making a sub gave him another 30 seconds added on...

I would have added the 6 (or as close as) onto the time also

You indicate 4. 30 secs INTO that 4, you have said stoppage. Keeper down, getting treatment, you saying when the watch shows 4 since the 90 you are terminating the game ! You have only played 30 secs of the added 4 !!
on that basis all a gk needs to do is go down hurt and eat away the time !

I would have added the 6 (or as close as) onto the time also

You indicate 4. 30 secs INTO that 4, you have said stoppage. Keeper down, getting treatment, you saying when the watch shows 4 since the 90 you are terminating the game ! You have only played 30 secs of the added 4 !!
on that basis all a gk needs to do is go down hurt and eat away the time !
Err no. If you have played 2 minutes of 4 then irrespective of how long the keeper goes down for there are still 2 minutes remaining. If you add another 6 then you'e played too much.
So 90 - decide 4 mins
90+2 injury
90+8 play resumes
90+10 full time having played 4 minutes.

if the post is about adding on injury time in injury time then yes I am

am the sole time keeper. nobody else. (insert "am" to suit )

Yes but by logic of the OPs ref a game might never end if you keep adding time on for the length of each injury. Say another injury occured for 10 minutes at 5 mins 30 into your extra 6 (having already played 3.30 of the original 4). Are you gunna play another 10 minutes. Taking total of played extra time to to 19 minutes? Where are you finding the extra 15 mins from?
The time added at the end of a match is for losses to the 90 - this extra period is extended for losses to that period of time. You cant make up extra time that hasnt been lost, sole time keeper, or not.

In short, i think the OP means, do you add on time for stoppages in additional time
If thats the question, then yes
Or else a team can score with 1min to go, do a war dance, run round the stadium car park, and then its the final whistle!

Last edited:
My understanding of the great game is that the clock does not stop, unlike other games particularly on the other side of the pond.

Therefore, if you have indicated +4 minutes, and at +3m30s the keeper goes down for 6 minutes, then yes, you add six minutes on (otherwise you are going to be blowing for full time whilst the keeper is receiving treatment). Whilst you may have stopped the clock on one of your watches, the other watch will continue to tick. When you restart, you will continue play for the 30 seconds left on the stopwatch you restarted, which will equate to +10 minutes on the watch that never stopped.

My understanding of the great game is that the clock does not stop, unlike other games particularly on the other side of the pond.

Therefore, if you have indicated +4 minutes, and at +3m30s the keeper goes down for 6 minutes, then yes, you add six minutes on (otherwise you are going to be blowing for full time whilst the keeper is receiving treatment). Whilst you may have stopped the clock on one of your watches, the other watch will continue to tick. When you restart, you will continue play for the 30 seconds left on the stopwatch you restarted, which will equate to +10 minutes on the watch that never stopped.
Yes but it seems that in the OP that the referee played another 6 minutes... so after thr injury he continued the match for a further six minutes instead of the remaining time added on.

The ref in the OP was wrong (if this really happened).

Also, anyone else who thinks you need to add 6 minutes is wrong.

Those who think, once play has restarted (after 6 or 10 or 16 minutes) 30 more seconds should be played are right.

It's kind of obvious really. I'm surprised anyone's struggling with this. Would be fun if it worked that way though:

"Boys, we're three goals down, there are 30 seconds of injury time left - but if one of you goes down for 10 minutes that might just buy us enough time to win it."

You've stopped the watch with 30 seconds remaining. You restart with 30 seconds remaining. 30 seconds later you blow up.

Simples.

Yup, Frank has it right. It's why I prefer having one of my watches be stop-start: I would have stopped it when I realised this was a serious injury that required time to sort out and then regardless of if it takes 20 seconds or 20 minutes to sort the injury, my stop/start watch still says 30s left. I don't even have to think!

I don't see how this can be confusing or complicated If you think of this as play time rather than stoppage time
you are meant to PLAY 45 minutes in the second half, no more, no less.

If you had 4 minutes of stoppage time after a running watch shows 45 minutes then in reality you have only PLAYED 41 minutes so 4 more minutes has to be PLAYED, no more, no less.

If you played 3.30 of that and another stoppage occurs, then there is only 30 more second of play is left, simples. So when you restart, play, go for 30 more seconds.

Back