A&H

IFAB Twitter Q&A

bester

RefChat Addict
Dlw3D-gW4AA370D.jpg

The Referee Store
I suppose it's a technical clarification that a player who doesn't have permission to be on the field can commit SPA by interfering with play and not just by fouling.

If the situation ever occurs for me where a player off the field or a sub stops a clear attack, I'm finding a way to send them off with either DOGSO or Entering + UB = 2CT.

I suppose it's a technical clarification that a player who doesn't have permission to be on the field can commit SPA by interfering with play and not just by fouling.

Didn't even consider that this could happen.

Now if they’d just tweet the handball ”law” so we’re all on the same hymn sheet;)

Before I sent that e-mail to Mr. Elleray, I actually tweeted them and was hit with something of a 'no comment' so... :p

If the situation ever occurs for me where a player off the field or a sub stops a clear attack, I'm finding a way to send them off with either DOGSO or Entering + UB = 2CT.
This is not a clarification for SPA. I think you are reading too much into it. It's a straight forward question and answer from the law for the SPA part of it. The law clearly says a 'player' can commit several cautionable offences, SPA being one of them, being permitted on the field or not is irrelevant as it would have if the offence was a reckless challenge.

I suspect it has more to do with the recent clarification of two cautionable offences in rapid succession attract two yellows not one.

And the offending team still plays with 11 as this double yellow is for a sub.

Late in the game with no subs left there is little downside for a player on the bench to enter the field and trip a player streaking down the wing.

And the offending team still plays with 11 as this double yellow is for a sub.
A player is not a substitute (and a substitute is not a player). If a 'player' is sent off, the most a team can play with is 10. A player entering the field without permission can only mean he was one of the eleven who was temporarily off the field (injury, equipment correction, sin bin...)

1535589878376.png

I think you are thinking of the common meaning that footballers and fans use for a player. LOTG clearly distinguished between a player and a substitute in a number of places. Here is a good example

1535589694270.png

I am surprised no one mentioned that a red card should have been included to the answer in the OP :) . If this was a quiz question, points would have been deducted if red card wasn't mentioned. If it was an actual match, at least a demotion for the referee if a red card wasn't issued.

A player is not a substitute (and a substitute is not a player). If a 'player' is sent off, the most a team can play with is 10. A player entering the field without permission can only mean he was one of the eleven who was temporarily off the field (injury, equipment correction, sin bin...)

View attachment 2387

I think you are thinking of the common meaning that footballers and fans use for a player. LOTG clearly distinguished between a player and a substitute in a number of places. Here is a good example

View attachment 2386
Excellent point. I hadn't considered this.

Although the sanctions are the same if you replace the word player with substitute.

A sub can be guilty os SPA can they not?

Reactions: one
Excellent point. I hadn't considered this.

Although the sanctions are the same if you replace the word player with substitute.

A sub can be guilty os SPA can they not?
Nope. Nonetheless you would get him for general USB if it was a sub.

Of course they can.

And as @one notes... SPA falls under USB, and that's what the caution is categorized under.
I think @one suggesting they can't. And the way the law is written I'd agree if we are clearly making distinction between player and sibstitute and the role they currently have in the match and then how the law is worded regarding offences by each.

BUT I think this is actually where spirit of the game comes in. Currently there is no provision in law for SPA by a sub so spirit of the game, football expects and within framework of laws for a player, SPA it is - as you both say caution for USB.

Reactions: one
Semantics or spirit of the game it will get you the same outcome but from an administrative point of view it is important that it is not reported as a caution for SPA. It must be USB and if there is a subcategory it should be "Other". Given that it was the second caution and by the laws of the game a substitute can not be cautioned for SPA specifically, he can appeal it and get off on a technicality allowing him to play the following game.

SPA is only listed as a cautionable offence for 'players'.

Semantics or spirit of the game it will get you the same outcome but from an administrative point of view it is important that it is not reported as a caution for SPA. It must be USB and if there is a subcategory it should be "Other". Given that it was the second caution and by the laws of the game a substitute can not be cautioned for SPA specifically, he can appeal it and get off on a technicality allowing him to play the following game.

Semantics, yes, but here in England I beleive you can't appeal 2 cautions so no1 is getting off. Additionally you cant report a caution as SPA anyway, there is no code for it!.

Semantics, yes, but here in England I beleive you can't appeal 2 cautions so no1 is getting off. Additionally you cant report a caution as SPA anyway, there is no code for it!.
Pretty much the same here unless one of the cautions it is a clear error in law or a mistaken identity. Funny I just started a thread on the latter :)

so team A is wining by 1, team B goes on counter attack 2 vs 1 (not GK), a sub from bench A runs and trips a B player commits DOGSO.. what are the sanctions? two yellows or straight red (who cares really)? does team A play with 10 or 11?

what if a fan from team B commits the same infringement?

so team A is wining by 1, team B goes on counter attack 2 vs 1 (not GK), a sub from bench A runs and trips a B player commits DOGSO.. what are the sanctions? two yellows or straight red (who cares really)? does team A play with 10 or 11?

what if a fan from team B commits the same infringement?
This one is clear. As per lotg:
A player, sent off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of
play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an
opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.

Sadly, the offending team continue with 11 but the substitute can take no further part in the match and is reported.

If a spectator interferes with play, again, pretty straight forward... dropped ball.

This one is clear. As per lotg:
A player, sent off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of
play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an
opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.

Sadly, the offending team continue with 11 but the substitute can take no further part in the match and is reported.

If a spectator interferes with play, again, pretty straight forward... dropped ball.
so it's safe to say with the game on the line, a coach could ask one of his substitutes to commit such offense and basically save the game and remain a full 11 men squad on the pitch?

Uh... where is that the case?

It's mentioned that if SPA is committed, the caution is for USB.

And elsewhere... substitutes can receive USB cautions.

Don't try to make the argument on how the FA does its administration... because that only applies to the FA... and let's be honest, they have codes in there that aren't correct as per the Laws anyhow.

Back