A&H

IFAB set to issue guidance on VAR offside decisions

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
Interesting words from the IFAB:

"Lukas Brud, general secretary of the International Football Association Board, said: "With VAR we see some things that are going in a direction that we may need to re-adjust."

He said the body would reissue guidance on VAR's use after its annual general meeting in February.

"If you spend multiple minutes trying to identify whether it is offside or not, then it's not clear and obvious and the original decision should stand," he said.

He added: "What we really need to stress is that 'clear and obvious' applies to every single situation that is being reviewed by the VAR or the referee.

"In theory, 1mm offside is offside, but if a decision is taken that a player is not offside and the VAR is trying to identify through looking at five, six, seven, 10, 12 cameras whether or not it was offside, then the original decision should stand."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50944416

This very much echoes what a lot of people on here have been saying.

The Referee Store
It will be interesting to see what the response from the EPL club's and PGMOL will be.

I can't see anything changing before the end of the season, regardless of what comes out of the AGM.

I assume this is why we didn't see loads of goals ruled out for marginal offsides at the World Cup, and why the reviews didn't take so long.

They can't change it mid season, would impact the integrity of the league.

A sensible change for next year though

I wonder how hard the PGMOL might try to resist any updated guidance.

They've already been ignoring the VAR protocol, not using pitch side monitors, using it to catch marginal offside rather than clear and obvious errors.

However, as ultimately the EPL hold the purse strings of PGMOL, I wonder whether any resistance could lead to a change of management?

They can issue all the Guidance they want, if Riley and he merry men ignore it then what's the point! They know better apparently!!!

They can issue all the Guidance they want, if Riley and he merry men ignore it then what's the point! They know better apparently!!!

PGMOL is funded by the EPL, EFL, and The FA.

How long do you think club's in the EPL are going to be happy paying for people who can't, or won't follow protocols laid down by the people who write the laws of the game?

Now it is in writing from IFAB and is publicly available PGMOL will be under immense pressure and scrutiny, and I'd expect people will be called to meetings to explain why they haven't implemented it correctly, or why they decided not seeing that an attacker was 2mm offside is a clear and obvious error.

I can't see anything changing before the end of the season, regardless of what comes out of the AGM.
They can't change it mid season, would impact the integrity of the league.
They won't change it with immediate effect in February.That's not how the IFAB works. Except in very rare cases where they feel the need to change things immediately, in which case they'll issue a circular with immediate effect and not even wait for the AGM, matters that are considered at the AGM and that they decide to implement, become part of next update to the laws, taking effect on June 1st.

PGMOL would not have made the 'altercation' to the protocol without the approval of their bosses to start with. In fact I think (as an educated guess) no use of the OFR would have been of of the conditions required for it to be approved. And if I remember correctly everyone was praising this it when the season started.

Pay £5.99 a month to download my Official Premier League VAR app. Use the unique QR code on your printed match ticket to register that you're in the stadium, and once ol' Mikey Dean hits the whistle it goes to an ATTENDANCE VOTE with 3 replays on the big screen. Away supporters' votes count tenfold.

PGMOL would not have made the 'altercation' to the protocol without the approval of their bosses to start with. In fact I think (as an educated guess) no use of the OFR would have been of of the conditions required for it to be approved. And if I remember correctly everyone was praising this it when the season started.

The EPL club's certainly voted on it, which is why they now use it, and I could we'll see minimal usage of OFR could have been a condition.

I doubt they would have agreed if they knew quite how it would turn out though.

The offside issue isn't just England though, the lines have been used in Champions League games to judge offside down to millimetres. They'd have to withdraw the license for UEFA is this was true.
I think this article is conflating two different issues. As you say, the offside precision issue also exists elsewhere. Where the EPL is really diverging from the protocol and the things I think the IFAB may be taking issue with are the way it is in effect, refusing to use the pitch-side monitors and having AR's not delay the flag for close offside decisions.

I think this article is conflating two different issues. As you say, the offside precision issue also exists elsewhere. Where the EPL is really diverging from the protocol and the things I think the IFAB may be taking issue with are the way it is in effect, refusing to use the pitch-side monitors and having AR's not delay the flag for close offside decisions.
Both good points and go to some of the main principles of the VAR. The former is about the referee making all subjective decisions and the latter is about the ability to correct a error in a KMI.

But the bigger picture is about having a set of unified rules laws that everyone works with, ood or bad. And that is the important one for me.

Back