A&H

IDFK placement

LancsReferee

Keeper picks ball up from a back pass about 5 yards from goal. Where is the IDFK taken from? Where he picks it up, or on edge of area parallel to where he picked it up? Also, if it's the latter, is this a recent Law change?

The Referee Store
If it is outside of the goal area then it is taken from where he picked the ball up.

If he is inside the goal area then it is taken from the edge of the goal area parallel to where they picked the ball up.

If it is outside of the goal area then it is taken from where he picked the ball up.

If he is inside the goal area then it is taken from the edge of the goal area parallel to where they picked the ball up.
And has been for at least 8 years since I started reffing.

Thanks for the correction. I would have sworn it was that way when I started reffing as a kid, but obviously something I learned later and assumed had always been the case.

Having managed these, which are a &$#*@ mess-even the pros screw them up. I’d love to see a change. I don’t know what causes “short corners” in field hockey, but let’s steal that idea and turn any IFK on the PA to a corner kick from where the PA meets the GL. (Yeah, I know, never gonna happen.)

Slight technical or some may call it pedantic correction. Parallel to the goal line, nearest to where he picked it up.

Slight technical or some may call it pedantic correction. Parallel to the goal line, nearest to where he picked it up.
If you were going to be pedantic you should have copied it from the book 😊

taken from the nearest point on the goal area line which runs
parallel to the goal line

Back