A&H

Identical twins

one

RefChat Addict
To give some background, our teamsheets are online with photo IDs for every player, their name and jersey number. We are not required to get names when carding, just the jersey number and can identify them through jersey numbers on the teamsheet. If teams don't record jersey numbers on team sheet correctly, they get a small fine.

I had a team with twins a few months back. I sent one of the twins off and noted his number. When reporting I noticed no one on the teamsheet with that number. Of course looking at the photos I identified him as being one of the two twins. Now given they are happy to pay the small fine, they can choose which one wants to cop the suspension. Well on the books anyway, either can pass for the other when playing while one is suspended.

Here is the kicker, speaking to a colleague this week, he said he had sent one of them off (#10) for 2 yellows. He was approached at the end of the game claiming it was his twin brother (#101) who got the first yellow but he didn't pay much attention to it at the time. After reporting the send off (correct jersey numbers on the team sheet) he received another email asking him to clarify/confirm the send off as there was an appeal for mistaken Identity. He had no doubts and he had two NARs confirming it.

Be interesting to hear of any other interesting incidents when identical twins have been playing in the same team.

The Referee Store
Ha Ha Ha good luck with this situation.

If one gets booked whats to stop them swapping shirts at Half Time say ?

Yes, booked one in first half and I was just getting my second yellow out for a similar up-ending when it was pointed out to me that it was player 2s first booking to which I checked my book and shirt number aside. Phew, I was going on the visual rather than the number and already had him down for MOM due to his work rate!!! Never actually got the red out so no confusion with that but I was pretty close..

Reactions: one
Ha Ha Ha good luck with this situation.

If one gets booked whats to stop them swapping shirts at Half Time say ?
That doesn't help them though. While it will mean if the actual cautioned twin gets a yellow card again he wont get sent off, if the other twin gets his first yellow card he will get sent off on the presumption of second yellow. So on the balance it's even.

And if they say we swapped shirts to avoid being sent off and we should be on one yellow each, even worse, I'd give both of them another yellow for USB and they are both off.

Back