A&H

Ibercup 2015

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
It's that time, anyone been accepted to Ibercup? I've had my email saying I'm in for 2015 which is better than almost any Christmas present! Anyone applied for any other tournament abroad as well?

The Referee Store
Didn't something happen during the Madrid Sur Cup? Heard during the tournament that international referees were banned from officiating early in the tournament but it wasn't widely reported

Didn't something happen during the Madrid Sur Cup? Heard during the tournament that international referees were banned from officiating early in the tournament but it wasn't widely reported
Not that I know of, thing is Madrid SuperCup and IberCup are run by different companies I think but referee's are obtained by the same agency (Tournaments Abroad). I went to Ibercup last year and there were referees who had attended previous tournaments and nothing was mentioned about any such event occuring

Looking at these both last and this season. What;s the score - good bad or ugly? At 32 most seem to be asking for the "young promising referee....." but in all honestly I'd be happy running the line all day for someone. I;ve been at a PL Academy for three seasons so know how he youth thing works.

I did find that afterwards and have applied and spoke to Daniel. Be great to be accepted, would be a fantastic experience

@Aled I must admit, you've got me hooked on the idea of going to one of these tournaments. Although it definitely won't be happening next summer:cry:

@Aled I must admit, you've got me hooked on the idea of going to one of these tournaments. Although it definitely won't be happening next summer:cry:

Same here. Thinking of going for either Ibercup or one of the Scandanavian ones for summer 2016.

I'm liking the idea of Norway, if I can save the money then summer 2016 will definitely be a possibility

Was wondering how people got time off school/college to go?

Also, anyone got any info on the Norway Cup? Tabs are empty at the moment

Ive applied for the Costa Del Sol Iber. Spoke with Dan last night but had no official confirmation. Hoping to get in, would love it!! Just need to find someone else to go with :)

I was at the Madrid Sur Cup and there was a series of misunderstandings and language issues which led to the international referees being prevented from participating after the group stages. There was also a number of other issues which mean I would not recommend participating at this tournament. It has also made me wary of getting involved in a similar tournament for at least a couple of years.

Just received my invitation for the Costa Del Sol tournament.:D
Can not wait!!!

Nooooooo!! Still waiting for my confirmation!!

Karl

Just a heads up. In my invitation I am given a list of referees who are going.

Your name is one of them

See you there!!! :)

Woohoo!! Cheers Liam see you there

Reactions: LC
I feel compelled to answer a few questions on this topic concerning both the Ibercup and the Madrid Sur Cup.

Let's start from the latter which, as Brian confirmed and to everybody's surprised, turned out to be a very poor tournament in 2014.
As Tournaments Abroad we had been working with the MSC for a couple of years, with no notable incidents. I attended myself back in 2013 and the experience for myself and my referees was very positive. 2014 was, however, a different story and referees were in fact excluded from the tournament for no reason on the last day of the event. As Brian said many problems were caused by language issues, as none of the organizers spoke any English, however, as we found out later, there was more. We were told by some "friends" in fact that the move was planned well in advance by local referees who, maybe because international referees performed better than them, grew tired of seeing all finals given to international referees. Lawyers are now involved.

The Ibercup however is a different story. It has been running succesfully for 5 years, as Aled can confirm, and we are going into our 6th year full of confidence and organizing three different editions under the same brand: Spain, Portugal and USA.

Aled, there is a reason why you won't find any referee on here accepted into the Portugal event: there is none. We are not accepting any Englisn self-applicant for this year's tournament except for assessors, as the English County FA groups have taken all places available to English referees. All self-applicants will be sent to Spain, only exception being some junior referees.

Last but not the least: Norway Cup. Unfortunately this isn't open to British referees as they have to follow a different procedure to get involved and refer to Mr James Campbell of Bedfordshire who is the English Referee Ambassador for the Norway Cup.

Thanks @Danusa86 for adding to my answer which was selective for obvious reasons. With regard to the Norway Cup, is anyone needs contact details for James Campbell, please let me know as he is a personal friend. We qualified as Level 2 Tutors together at Staverton Park (St. George's Park predecessor) nearly 6 years ago.

Back