A&H

Iber cup 2020 Barcelona

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has ever done something like this before?

Am thinking of applying for the competition and just wanted some more info on what it will be like.

Am also considering applying for the English super cup in Manchester.

The Referee Store
I went to Iber Barca 2018 and Cascais 2019. I recommend it and the Referee Abroad org 100%. I had a brilliant time at both.

It might not be for everyone though... some things to consider:
The Barca edition is at a complex outside Lloret de Mar.
Lloret is a teenage party town.
The pitches are a bit small so the more competitive older games can be explosive.
The complex itself was not glamorous when I was there but the town is great fun.
The conditions are challenging (heat!) and the football was challenging enough for me at the time! Though by Iber/Ref Abroad standards this is entry level.

I would very much recommend if you are ready to meet other refs, drink a lot of water, probably fits if you have been reffing for at least 2-4 years and are under 25. If you are older then you should be prepared that Lloret is a teenage party town. For a first foreign tournament it is a great shout as it is a little more relaxed than others - also as it's at one complex you don't have to be distracted by independent travel.

As said, I can't recommend enough. I went to Iber Barca at 44, met some wonderful people, made some lifelong friends, had the game of my life, and definitely improved as a referee and probably as a person!

I went to Iber Barca 2018 and Cascais 2019. I recommend it and the Referee Abroad org 100%. I had a brilliant time at both.

It might not be for everyone though... some things to consider:
The Barca edition is at a complex outside Lloret de Mar.
Lloret is a teenage party town.
The pitches are a bit small so the more competitive older games can be explosive.
The complex itself was not glamorous when I was there but the town is great fun.
The conditions are challenging (heat!) and the football was challenging enough for me at the time! Though by Iber/Ref Abroad standards this is entry level.

I would very much recommend if you are ready to meet other refs, drink a lot of water, probably fits if you have been reffing for at least 2-4 years and are under 25. If you are older then you should be prepared that Lloret is a teenage party town. For a first foreign tournament it is a great shout as it is a little more relaxed than others - also as it's at one complex you don't have to be distracted by independent travel.

As said, I can't recommend enough. I went to Iber Barca at 44, met some wonderful people, made some lifelong friends, had the game of my life, and definitely improved as a referee and probably as a person!

Thanks for the reply. Are you applying for the 2020 tournament?

I will apply to go to a Referee Abroad tournament yes.

Both the previous exceeded all expectations and I have nothing but praise for the Referee Abroad crew.

I would like to go somewhere new in Europe - but in Spring but all things considered I think I will apply to Cascais again.

If you have questions get in touch with Dan or Matthew. @Dutch Referee Blog on here can also give sage advice.

Back