A&H

I watched an Isthmian match

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
On a whim, while on a trip to England from the frozen North, I took an invitation from an old friend to see Whitehawk play yesterday:

This is the first time I have ever watched a non-league match in England so I was fascinated. I understand this is the 8th tier.

First, the officials:
Solid show from the trio. Easy game I think. No really naughty challenges. Well-behaved players. The ref’s communication with the players was great from what I could see, especially at corners. He sold a few decisions well. He was gutted about one missed advantage. I was surprised at how straightforward the game was.

AR1 had a blinder. A couple of trickier offsides and at least two “coming back” rainbows in the second half. AR2 had a game with a few things to learn from. Had a flag up and down quickly on an inactive/wait and see early on. Then, just for me, called a great offside in front him in the corner but lost the flag 6 ft in the air. He laughed and it delighted the punters.

No comms. Buzzer flags. No 4th. I guess it would a L4 in the middle, or is the L3 already?

And the match experience:
Amazing. Out of this world. The area of Whitehawk has a terrible reputation in Brighton. What the people around this club have done is inspiring. The seats are from the old temp Withdean stands where Bton used to play, a couple of burger trucks, bar, scoreboard made from bus signs, stadium on the edge of town with a view of the sea.

I was with the “ultras”. We had to wait for the toss and changed ends at HT to stay behind the away keeper. Non stop singing. Hilarious songs. Drums, a disco ball. I was in stitches, barely able to concentrate on the footy.

The best thing though: Inclusivity. There’s a no swearing policy. The ref song is “the referee’s a referee” and the ultras sing about no homophobia, no racism, no sexism, and of course, no Eastbourne Borough!

They have something very special going on and I can’t recommend a trip to see Whitehawk highly enough :)

The Referee Store
On a whim, while on a trip to England from the frozen North, I took an invitation from an old friend to see Whitehawk play yesterday:

This is the first time I have ever watched a non-league match in England so I was fascinated. I understand this is the 8th tier.

First, the officials:
Solid show from the trio. Easy game I think. No really naughty challenges. Well-behaved players. The ref’s communication with the players was great from what I could see, especially at corners. He sold a few decisions well. He was gutted about one missed advantage. I was surprised at how straightforward the game was.

AR1 had a blinder. A couple of trickier offsides and at least two “coming back” rainbows in the second half. AR2 had a game with a few things to learn from. Had a flag up and down quickly on an inactive/wait and see early on. Then, just for me, called a great offside in front him in the corner but lost the flag 6 ft in the air. He laughed and it delighted the punters.

No comms. Buzzer flags. No 4th. I guess it would a L4 in the middle, or is the L3 already?

And the match experience:
Amazing. Out of this world. The area of Whitehawk has a terrible reputation in Brighton. What the people around this club have done is inspiring. The seats are from the old temp Withdean stands where Bton used to play, a couple of burger trucks, bar, scoreboard made from bus signs, stadium on the edge of town with a view of the sea.

I was with the “ultras”. We had to wait for the toss and changed ends at HT to stay behind the away keeper. Non stop singing. Hilarious songs. Drums, a disco ball. I was in stitches, barely able to concentrate on the footy.

The best thing though: Inclusivity. There’s a no swearing policy. The ref song is “the referee’s a referee” and the ultras sing about no homophobia, no racism, no sexism, and of course, no Eastbourne Borough!

They have something very special going on and I can’t recommend a trip to see Whitehawk highly enough :)

Thanks for sharing what sounds like a cracking day out.

Did you notice the size of AR1? He's about 100 feet tall....?

He also happens to be one of my best mates, he was very happy to have the 9 hour round trip for the game! I'll let him know the feedback, he'll be chuffed

AR2 was a 5-4 candidate.

Did you notice the size of AR1? He's about 100 feet tall....?
He also happens to be one of my best mates, he was very happy to have the 9 hour round trip for the game! I'll let him know the feedback, he'll be chuffed

AR2 was a 5-4 candidate.
:)

Overall they bossed it. That may well be because the referee was such a great communicator with the players. But I also imagine it was an easy game for this level - I would be interested to know.

For AR2, on one trifling... however, I was working with a precocious AR the other week. He looked great and will beat me to promotion, but he kept flagging very fast against my tips to the point where I had to reverse the third one. The speedy compact flag is a great tool - and our best female ARs flag like lightning - but I also think you can slow down, always signal as a team, and the point, far less chance of throwing the flag into the box ;) 😂

Back