A&H

I turned a very qualified ref down for a job today!

The Referee Store
As it amounts to the same thing, yes, especially if the candidate was to announce which team they once had trials with; which would also draw equivalence
An unusual way of shortlisting candidates, based on the hobbies and interests section of their CV.

Having worked in recruitment previously most people would wait until the interview stage so they can ask about the candidates commitment to football or refereeing etc. Not filter them out at the shortlisting stage.

An unusual way of shortlisting candidates, based on the hobbies and interests section of their CV.

Having worked in recruitment previously most people would wait until the interview stage so they can ask about the candidates commitment to football or refereeing etc. Not filter them out at the shortlisting stage.
My expertise is not recruitment, so forgive my disinterest in further comment

My expertise is not recruitment, so forgive my disinterest in further comment
Is that a long winded way of saying that you didn't think before your initial comment, and therefore never considered that it would be entirely possible for someone to play or referee and to also hold down a full time job that requires weekend and evening work during the football season?

Or that it would be better to wait until there was a chance to ask the candidate whether they felt that football would interfere with the job?

Of course, I assume that the advert for the job made it clear that there would be travel and weekend or evening work required, and that the candidate in question would have been fully aware of the commitment that the job would require, should they have been successful.

In answer to the point posed by @Sheffields Finest in his original post. I doubt it holds back the careers of anyone, as most employers probably wait until they interview a candidate so they can ask them about their refereeing and whether they would be willing to make the sacrifice of potentially having to referee less.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, depending on the job the candidate had applied for a boss expecting someone to be at their beck and call 24 hours a day probably isn't someone you would want to work for, as last minute jobs that crop up in the middle of the night are generally signs of bad management.

Sorry @one, sometimes my honesty is reality, I threw it out there that mentioning it can be a negative 😬
Possibly only if the employer chooses to see it that way. Obviously if he did mention it he saw it as a positive. You as the employer may want to know why he thought that way.

I didn't really want to get into this debate because I don't know all the facts but I got sucked into it.

Sorry @one, sometimes my honesty is reality, I threw it out there that mentioning it can be a negative 😬
Only if employers make knee jerk reactions rather than speaking to the candidate first.

Of course if the candidate said that refereeing would take priority over the job and they knew it required travel and weekend and evening work then you would have to wonder why they bothered to apply in the first place.

Or the positives can be

1) they can work under pressure
2) are able to make good decisions with incomplete information
3) work well as part of a team, as well as having leadership skills
4) have solid organisational and admin skills
5) able to handle conflict

Having just gone through a pretty rigorous interview process for a new job, where I had my refereeing on my CV, I was able to demonstrate that the skills I possess and use on the football field were also highly valuable for the company I am going to work for.

Its the usual misunderstanding of the promotion scheme being shown again. I have a demanding job, often working irregular hours, and whilst not so much any more when I was a L3 and L4 I was off flying around Europe and Asia often at short notice. I closed a lot of dates (I was closed midweek for pretty much a whole season), and came off a lot of games, the FA didn't care as I kept them fully up to date with my work situation.

The myth that you are their beck and call is just that, a myth. Yes, if you want to progress then a job where you have to work every weekend isn't for you, but you can still progress if you have awkward work hours. I was due to be 4th official on a PL reserve game and ended up on the line instead as the senior AR didn't make it. Why? Because he was a firefighter and had been called to a big shout fire before he went off shift. "Sorry lads, got a game tonight so going to have to skip this one" wasn't an option, but that doesn't mean that firefighters can't be senior referees.

As I said, I haven’t revealed the full facts and stand by my decisions on all 3, I respect all your points made and agree that most things can be worked through. It is though a pretty unique hobby that we all have / had and we aren’t remunerated properly for the hours you are setting aside.

That said, I turned down a charity afternoon today, 4 hours, no mention of money even if I was to turn the payment down!

Back