A&H

I can only give what I can see fella!

Dave Mac

My first game on Sunday and how many times did I end up saying that! I was lucky the lads i was refereeing were great, such good sports man and no back chat or moaning at all. One player got a quick word for a slightly tasty tackle, but even then it wasnt a free kick, I could just see he was getting a bit over committed shall we say so I just warned him I didnt want to be giving any free kicks against him. Seemed to work well.

But I found with them the old I can only give what I can see line worked pretty well through out the game. One penalty shout, hopeful at best, although made worse by the fact the attacker go accidentally clobbered in the face on the way down.

BUt I wanted to know during a game what are the little catch phrases do you find yourself using over and over.

The Referee Store
"Still got the ball - Advantage - that's the one i use a lot!.......

or

If a player walks/jogs/runs to you to have a go - "did you really need to run all that way for a yellow card" :rolleyes:

"Still got the ball - Advantage - that's the one i use a lot!.......

or

If a player walks/jogs/runs to you to have a go - "did you really need to run all that way for a yellow card" :rolleyes:

Possession alone does not an advantage make!

"Easy, easy" - Not Soccer AM style however!!!! Usually as someone appears to be getting a little wound up or his challenges are beginning to border careless.

"No way!" Usually followed by "Get on with it."

Not recommended unless you know can get away with it - I did on Sunday - Player: "You're too far away ref. You need to keep up with the attack man."
Me: "I could say the same about your defence fella. If you're gonna give it, you have to take it too."

They were 6-1 down at the time with the defence holding their line - on halfway most of the time when play was in their area.

When being whinged at by a player for giving a throw in to the opposition when the player thinks it should have gone his teams way, I like to use "Well if I got that wrong, and that is the worst decision I make today, you won't have done too badly out of me will you?"

Very true, but if it doesn't give an advantage then I'd stop play!.......the "still got the ball" gives a reason for him/her to continue rather than go down!

So, they still have the ball, but might suddenly throw themselves to the ground in order to get the FK? Hmmmm.....sounds mighty like simulation to me!

All you need to shout is "Advantage".....if you really want extra brownie points when being assessed you could add "play on". Anything else is superfluous and a waste of breath.

If a player "rides" a tackle, carries on with the ball (clearly under control i hasten to add) and then decides they are going to collapse in a heap in order to try and win a FK....well, there will be FK awarded....but to their opposition when i caution the player for simulation.

Far too much unwarranted advantage is played, especially in Sunday morning football. Mainly because too many ref's go looking for every opportunity to play it, thinking they are doing the right thing. Just look at the Select group refs and how much advantage they actually play......and that is at the very highest levels of the game.....at Parks level there will be even less "advantage" available considering the ability of the players.
And yes, we should be considering the ability of the players when we look at advantage situations. A typical Sunday morning pub player is unlikely to be able to beat 4 or 5 defenders from 40 yds out and get a shot on goal, however he is probably capable of launching it into the box, loaded with his team mates, from a FK. Which is the better "advantage" for his team?

Anyone who was at the RA Conference this year, and saw the "play on or penalise" workshop with Mike Dean and Ray Olivier will know where i am coming from.

"Next time, let him go" is one phrase I use early in a game to let an offender know that he is being watched. However the best I ever heard was from one ref (I was on the line) who wanted to cool a situation when an tackle resulted in an injury. He called the offender over and said "I know it was an accident and I've penalised you but the opposition think I'm giving you a bo*****ing so just show some remorse and get on with the game - brilliant !

''Play on, play on, play oooon!''

''Hands, hands, hands!''

''Careful, careful, careful!''

''Be nice now!''

''Don't foul him!''

''Step away!''

''Be careful, I'm here, I'm watching''

''No chance''

''Lets go for a walk'' - For YC/Talking too

''Sep into the office'' - for RC

Its true, I don't shut up during the game :D

"I'll talk to you when the game has stopped" seems to be the regular one for me as I'm being chased down lately!

"Save yourself ten quid and keep it quiet" is another.

Is it possible that you can't see it (pertaining to "I can only call what I see") because you're not getting into the optimal position? I know that's usually the case when I miss something.

Back