A&H

Hypothetical question inspired by real life!

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
QPR v Rotherham on Saturday.

QPR have taken 9 penalties in the shoot out, QPR GK saves Rotherham's 9th BUT seriously injured.

No drama on the day BUT, if he had not saved it but still had to go off injured, refreshing my memory with a quick look at the LOTG;), it tells me that Rotherham would have had to lose a player - bearing in mind that would not have been the GK, I presume player number 10 could not have taken a pen and their GK would have had to take penalty 10. QPR had used all subs, so an outfield player would have had to go in goal.

One question I can't find the answer to in LOTG, does the player Rotherham chose to exclude HAVE to be one who hasn't taken a pen yet in this scenario?

Thoughts?

Thanks

The Referee Store
That's an interesting question and I don't have a definitive answer!

However, I'm not at all sure it would have to be the non-taker as I think what has gone before is irrelevant. So I think it's entirely up to Rotherham who is excluded from that point on. Happy to be corrected though!

No. Because the order of kickers can be changed for the 2nd round of kicks which is essentially what would happen if I understand correctly.

KFTPM have been changed to take out inconsistencies and anomalies but a couple still remains. One is the one you found.

Rotherham can reduce by removing any of their players regardless of if he has taken a kick or not. In these circumstances one team may end up with more/less number of players who have not taken a kick. As a result the laws to continue may not be able to strictly adhered to. Common sense here is that once one team has to have a player take a second kick, the other team should be able to start their second round of kicks too even if they still have one player who has not taken a kick.

The second anomaly/ inconsistency (similar to above) is that if the very last player to take a kick (22nd player) is injured or sent off then another player from that team can take a second kick. This means the best kicker from that team would take a kick 'against' the worst kicker from the opponents.

No. Because the order of kickers can be changed for the 2nd round of kicks which is essentially what would happen if I understand correctly.
In OP they have not got to the second round yet. QPR keeper going off. They have taken 9 kicks each. One or two kicks should remain for each team in this round now. Depending on if the keeper has taken a kick or not, and the Rotherham player coming off has taken a kick or not, one team can end up with one player not having taken a kick, the other team with two.

Last edited:
Back