A&H

Hypothetical goal keeper challenge

SM

The avuncular one
Watching the live football on tv got me thinking.

Keeper goes into an aerial challenge with a striker in the penalty area to contest a cross - striker gets there first, keeper misses the ball with his punch and punches the striker in the face. Ball goes dead.

What do people think?

Waiting for the first person to use the phrase "genuine challenge" :D

The Referee Store

Keeper goes into an aerial challenge with a striker in the penalty area to contest a cross - striker gets there first, keeper misses the ball with his punch and punches the striker in the face. Ball goes dead.

What do people think?

Applying my rule regarding whether you issue a caution or dismiss a player, then this is not a genuine challenge.

On the other hand, neither does it fall into the DOGSO category but into the excessive force and striking an opponent... dismissal.

Reactions: SM
Whether it's SFP will depend on the force behind the punch. Striking can be careless (no card only). DOGSO can't be relevant here unless the striker had headed it into a position for himself to run onto. In which case, you can't dismiss for DOGSO anyway given it was a genuine challenge for the ball. :cool:

Great question @SM :). Especially as you'd entirely expect the GK's attempted punch to be a pretty vigorous one to try and clear the ball well away from the goal. I'm erring on the side of leniency towards the keeper however, given that him trying to punch the ball is an entirely normal and legitimate part of the game. So, ridiculously late and well after ball has gone .. RC . Obviously late, YC. Only slightly after ball is headed, strong word to be more careful (ie better timed!) in future. And restart with a GK unless it's clear and obvious to everyone that the ball was still in play when the punch landed.

thiskind of scenerio happened in a scottish league 1 game Airdrieonians vs Peterhead. Airdrie appealed on case of it wasnt DOGSO but ref sent him off for SFP.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/150173235" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

first time putting a link up hope it works lol. about 58 seconds in

What do people think?

Sounds like you're referencing the moment of play between Martial and Mignolet in the Europa League game last night. It would have been a very interesting PK decision as the ball was most certainly in play at the time.

Sasa Ilic on van Nistelrooy? ZTE v Man Utd.

Not quite a punch but 'genuine challenge?' (Can't link a video sadly)

Sounds like you're referencing the moment of play between Martial and Mignolet in the Europa League game last night. It would have been a very interesting PK decision as the ball was most certainly in play at the time.
It was. Luckily for Liverpool the keeper did make a reasonable challenge. Just made me think.

I think what people are forgetting here is the striker, how has been during the game? Has he been p*****g you off all game with dissent after dissent? If that is the case then a little smile and possibly even a chuckle may be order!! ;););):eek:

It was. Luckily for Liverpool the keeper did make a reasonable challenge. Just made me think.
More importantly, the Spanish referee had the same understanding of "reasonable" as you. Mignolet didn't appear to get any of the ball and a goal kick (I believe) was awarded. And when you consider what he dishing out cautions for during the rest of the game ... maybe a PK wouldn't have been too out of place.
Did you notice he didn't cautioned any Spainiard or Spanish-speaking player? Given the way he was officiating the game, at least two of them could have pick up cautions. And how 'ironic' was it that the caution to Fellaini was for a PIADM when he blocked a cross and he evaded a caution for the rest of the game? And surely de Gea deserved a caution for 'unsporting behaviour' for saving all those Liverpool attempts on goal.

Back