A&H

How was everyone’s first game back

TheLC

How was everyone’s first games back!? Had my first ever goal direct from a throw in today, goal kick given, strangely enough not a peep from anyone! Nice to see everyone knows the laws!

The Referee Store
How was everyone’s first games back!? Had my first ever goal direct from a throw in today, goal kick given, strangely enough not a peep from anyone! Nice to see everyone knows the laws!

I had that in a top flight game in front of 16,000 few year back

throw, gk, to his credit, pulled out trying to get near it, ball in net, goal kick

I love it when a plan comes together!

I had that in a top flight game in front of 16,000 few year back

throw, gk, to his credit, pulled out trying to get near it, ball in net, goal kick

I love it when a plan comes together!
Love that! Funny thing was I saw he had a long throw and thought I can see one of these going in soon, and funnily enough one of them did! Lol

Never had a throw in go into the goal yet.

Have had an indirect free-kick go directly into the net once in all my years of refereeing.

I must get the boring games! :D

Only had two similar to the above that spring to mind.

Throw in and indirect free kick from own penalty area.

Both go in after the keepers get a touch but fail to keep it out.

Both seemed to go in slow motion and I wasn't going to voice the possible outcomes whilst thinking them in my head.

First middle of the year last night in the local senior cup competition.

Pitch was playable but very soft and cut up like crazy. Home side put a strong team out, away team played mostly a development side as they are playing in the vase 4th round Saturday and didn't want to risk players.

Home side won 2-0. No cautions and 22+ handshakes. Away team happy despite losing which is handy as I'm 4th official for them in their Vase game this coming Saturday 🤣.

Soft ground played havoc with calves and knees and was very sore this morning!

Finally had a game that survived Covid and the weather. Had some fun as well, manager was getting more and more agitated and screaming for a yellow card whenever there was a foul. He then shouted "ref, ref, have you forgot your yellow card". So I jogged over to him and said "don't think so, let me check, no here it is" before showing it him. His subs behind him found it highly amusing, fair to say he didn't 😂

Last edited:
Finally had a game that survived Covid and the weather. Had some fun as well, manager was getting more and more agitated and screaming for a yellow card whenever there was a foul. He then shouted "ref, ref, have you forgot your yellow card". So I jogged over to him and said "don't think so, let me check, no here it is" before showing it him. His subs behind him found it highly amusing, fait to say he didn't 😂
Haha love that! Cracked me up, good on you! Most people think us refs don’t have a sense of humour

See 'my' 'First Game Back' thread.

I'm still waiting, although Isthmian U18s line HAS been confirmed for tomorrow night, so fingers crossed!

Didn’t show a single red card in all of 2021. First 5 mins of the first game in 2022 I send off a player for calling an opponent a f****t.

The player didn’t complain too much but tried to argue he didn’t mean it in that way. I was a bit unnerved by how many people I had to explain to that it’s a homophobic slur and really not acceptable. 🙄

Recent Step 4 middle. Three incidents to demonstrate lack of law knowledge from players being (somewhat) paid to play

1) Give Drop Ball to Red team. Get Blues back 4m, drop ball and then get complaints from Red player when Blue closes him down after ball has hit ground and is in play
2) Player carelessly 'fouled' at a corner before ball is in play. Adamant appeals that it "must" be a penalty
3) Player treated by physio after reckless foul by opponent. Treatment completed by the time I had slowly completed the cautioning procedure .. outrage from whole opposition team that I then let him stay on the FOP .. to the extent that I had to call over the captain to explain the Law.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Recent Step 4 middle. Three incidents to demonstrate lack of law knowledge from players being (somewhat) paid to play

1) Give Drop Ball to Red team. Get Blues back 4m, drop ball and then get complaints from Red player when Blue closes him down after ball has hit ground and is in play
2) Player carelessly 'fouled' at a corner before ball is in play. Adamant appeals that it "must" be a penalty
3) Player treated by physio after reckless foul by opponent. Treatment completed by the time I had slowly completed the cautioning procedure .. outrage from whole opposition team that I then let him stay on the FOP .. to the extent that I had to call over the captain to explain the Law.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The lack of law knowledge is worrying at the higher levels.

I ran the line for a a step 6 vs step 4 game pre season and the step 4 keeper spent most of the 1st half appealing for offsides as the home sides striker was always stood 5-10 yards behind the defence from goal kicks and then coming back on to challenge for the headers.

Baffling that a GK playing at Step 4 doesn’t know a basic law relating directly to his own actions during a game 🤯

Knowing the players still don't know what's going on with a DB, I try to be a bit sly with my timing. 'Ball in-play, go go go", only when 'safe' to do so

First game back this past Saturday. Following Christmas/New Year break, weather and COVID postponements this was the first game I (and both teams) had in 6-7 weeks. Awarded an early penalty to the home team when the goalkeeper cleaned out an attacker. Lots of arguments that he got the ball (which he did) but sent the attacker into orbit with the follow through! However, gods were smiling and the taker hit the penalty well wide which quelled any further argument. For a while it looked like a good game was on the cards but it fizzled out into a comfortable home win. Lack of recent game time kicked in towards the end when I was puffing a bit but so were several of the players with a couple going down with cramp. Good to get the first game back out of the way without any real hassles and looking forward to next week.

Back