A&H

How to improve as a referee

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone!

I’m 19 and would love to go right to the top in refereeing and I am just looking for some help and advice!

Footballers like Cristiano Ronaldo have and continue to work, seemingly every moment, to improve as a player and they essentially make football their entire life.

Suppose you wanted to do that as a referee, what would you do day by day to improve as a referee in the best and fastest way possible?

Thanks a lot for your help!

The Referee Store
While I'm far from top, I think at your early stages, many of the steps are pretty obvious:
  • Read the LOTG (and all that other stuff in the book). Re-read it. Re-read it.
  • You're on the right track hanging out here--you'll get a lot of good advice (along with a dose of bad advice--you'll sort that out over time)
  • Do as many games, at various levels, as you can--as you can means that you you have the mental and physical stamina to do them well. going through the motions exhausted just helps create bad habitss.
  • Keep a journal--after every game write down at least one thing you learned or wished you had done differently or didn't know how to handle
  • Look for opportunities to be an AR. (I know that is very different where you are than when I am.) Being an AR will expose you to working with more experienced refs and the teamwork aspect that is critical as you progress.
  • Watch referees at games one level above what you are doing. (Watching the pros is great, but those games can be so far removed that they often aren't as practical for growth).
  • Find a mentor. On line is great, but you want someone you can talk to, maybe ref with sometimes, watch you sometimes, etc. Someone who also knows the local systems and can help you navigate.
  • Read some of the good books from refs. The best one I know is The Art of Refereeing by Robert Evans and Edward Ballion, but it can be hard to find.
  • Play, too. Even playing pick up games is going to give you a different feel for the game and help you better understand what players are trying to do. That will help you read the game better and anticipate what is happening. (This isn't absolutely essential, but I think it can be very helpful.)
  • Be in condition and take care of your body. At the highest levels, refs really are professional athletes--they have to be able to run with elite athletes for 90 minutes and still be in top mental condition--exhaustion is a big enemy of decision making.

While I'm far from top, I think at your early stages, many of the steps are pretty obvious:
  • Read the LOTG (and all that other stuff in the book). Re-read it. Re-read it.
  • You're on the right track hanging out here--you'll get a lot of good advice (along with a dose of bad advice--you'll sort that out over time)
  • Do as many games, at various levels, as you can--as you can means that you you have the mental and physical stamina to do them well. going through the motions exhausted just helps create bad habitss.
  • Keep a journal--after every game write down at least one thing you learned or wished you had done differently or didn't know how to handle
  • Look for opportunities to be an AR. (I know that is very different where you are than when I am.) Being an AR will expose you to working with more experienced refs and the teamwork aspect that is critical as you progress.
  • Watch referees at games one level above what you are doing. (Watching the pros is great, but those games can be so far removed that they often aren't as practical for growth).
  • Find a mentor. On line is great, but you want someone you can talk to, maybe ref with sometimes, watch you sometimes, etc. Someone who also knows the local systems and can help you navigate.
  • Read some of the good books from refs. The best one I know is The Art of Refereeing by Robert Evans and Edward Ballion, but it can be hard to find.
  • Play, too. Even playing pick up games is going to give you a different feel for the game and help you better understand what players are trying to do. That will help you read the game better and anticipate what is happening. (This isn't absolutely essential, but I think it can be very helpful.)
  • Be in condition and take care of your body. At the highest levels, refs really are professional athletes--they have to be able to run with elite athletes for 90 minutes and still be in top mental condition--exhaustion is a big enemy of decision making.
Thanks so much for all such a detailed response! I respect appreciate it 🙏

From a personal perspective, build a positive 'professional' relationship with those in the right places. Commitment is very important. You have to be doing this for the right reasons and what you do shouldn't show otherwise. No game given to you should be 'beneath' you or working with anyone for that matter. Stay humble as you move up the ladder.

When can you apply to CORE or the equivalent?

As already said, work as AR. It’s a real eye-opener, especially when you get comms anf great refs and hear everything.

And go to Referee Abroad tournaments in other countries.

I've asked to attend classes not at my level...even as just an observer. Sometimes allowed, sometimes not.

Every class adds to knowledge. I've even found a mentor this way. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Back