A&H

How do you signal for a substitution?

newref

When the manager shouts "ref I wanna make a change". You'd blow the whistle when the ball is out of play and then linesman will signal using his flag and check the names. But when there is no linesman, how do you guys signal with your hands to make it clear to all the spectators and the rest of the players that a substitution is about to be made?

The Referee Store
At the level where there are no NARs, the players and such can usually hear whats happening. I do a quick double blast of the whistle to stop play, signal the player to come on by either doing the rotating finger signal (sounds sexier than it is) or just shout 'yes please'. You *should* go over to the half way line near the technical area, get the name, do an equipment check and allow the player to enter the pitch once the subbed off player has left.

As a player and ref I've seen it done many different ways. Get out there, see what works best for you and crack on. Also, highly recommend being AR to more experienced referees, you can pick up loads from them

When the manager shouts "ref I wanna make a change". You'd blow the whistle when the ball is out of play and then linesman will signal using his flag and check the names. But when there is no linesman, how do you guys signal with your hands to make it clear to all the spectators and the rest of the players that a substitution is about to be made?
The unofficial signal is a rolling of hands over each other....

Thumbs up to coach asking for a sub accompanied with a "Yep" or a nod. Then tell player who is about to restart play to "hold it there, a sub is coming on" hold my hand out like a high five until sub is fully completed.

The unofficial signal is a rolling of hands over each other....
That is often used at grassroots. For some reason it looks/feel unprofessional to me but I don't have anything against it.

For me, NAR or not, before any restart, a double peep (get everyone's attention), look at the location of the restart and hold hand up in a stop/hold sign. Then look at the technical area and hold hand towards it in a signal similar to a corner but with a pointed finger. It works very well for me and there has never been any confusion.

At the level where there are no NARs, the players and such can usually hear whats happening. I do a quick double blast of the whistle to stop play, signal the player to come on by either doing the rotating finger signal (sounds sexier than it is) or just shout 'yes please'. You *should* go over to the half way line near the technical area, get the name, do an equipment check and allow the player to enter the pitch once the subbed off player has left.

As a player and ref I've seen it done many different ways. Get out there, see what works best for you and crack on. Also, highly recommend being AR to more experienced referees, you can pick up loads from them

You had me at "rotating finger"🤪

Back