A&H

How could I manage this situation

Referee1998

Just a question on a situation that has come up in quite a lot of my matches I have done this season.

A team are losing 2 0 but in the 90th minute they pull a goal back to make it 2 1.

The player that scores tries to get the Ball out of the goal but a goal keeper or defender picks up the ball and won’t give it to the player that scored the goal which leads to a scuffle.

How would you manage this?

Cheers

The Referee Store
Be alert. Be present. And be proactive. If you see it start to happen get on that whistle. Get into the box. Let the players know you are there.
I never understand this one as the restart is the teams that conceded the goal so they have no right to posession of the ball onve the goal is scored

The most important is to let them know you are watching. Once the goal is scored, get in close. Use of whistle and voice are crucial, shout that " the watch has been stopped, do nothing stupid".

Any silliness from either side, caution!

I had a few of these which led to a few yellow cards.Now as soon as I see this about to happen I say very loudly 'I will have the ball thank you' and so far this has totally eradicated the problem as I have instantly been given the ball.

Be alert. Be present. And be proactive. If you see it start to happen get on that whistle. Get into the box. Let the players know you are there.
I never understand this one as the restart is the teams that conceded the goal so they have no right to posession of the ball onve the goal is scored
Good advice on being proactive. I,d add that in the OP circumstances the ref should start running in as soon as the goal is scored as the chances of it happing is very high. Don't wait to see if a scuffle ensues.

I thing you mean the scorers have no right to posession of the ball after scoring. However you know the only reason the scorer is doing it is to facilitate the restart. And the main reason the goal keeper is doing it is to delay the restart. One is a good reason and the other isn't.

For me my first shout it "release the ball keeper". His
options are, drop it, give it to an opponent, kick it towards the centre circle or give/throw it to a team mate for the restart. If he takes too long, he is in the book for delaying the restart. If the scorer oversteps his limit, he is also in the book for USB.

If the keeper is holding onto the ball after being asked to release it, that IMHO is Delaying the restart, which results in a YC
If the attacker and Keeper are wrestling for the ball and the attacker oversteps the mark, He is issued with a YC For USB
If the situation in managed in the correct way neither of the cards mentioned will be needed

If the keeper is holding onto the ball after being asked to release it, that IMHO is Delaying the restart, which results in a YC
If the attacker and Keeper are wrestling for the ball and the attacker oversteps the mark, He is issued with a YC For USB
If the situation in managed in the correct way neither of the cards mentioned will be needed
Why would it be delaying the restart? IT's the keeper's team's restart - the opposing team has no right to the ball here

A few years back, FIFA said that any contact with the ball when it's the other team's FK is a mandatory yellow. This scenario is why.

As others have said, blow up early as soon as you start to see it happen. But if the attacker has caused a scuffle here, then they're getting a card every time. No reason for the attacker to even be there, no reason for them to grab the ball, they've caused a problem for no reason.

Keeper may need a card if he's showing a lot of aggression, but usually the attacker is the only one done something wrong here.

Back