A&H

Holding ball in place for a free kick

Reflife

Level 2 Referee
Evening all. I hope someone can help me with this. During a game today, a direct free kick was awarded on the edge of the opposing penalty area.
The attacking team wanted to hold the ball in place with their finger (similarly to a rugby conversion or penalty situation) whilst the kick was taken.

I declined their request and was met with accusations of breaking laws of the game.
Is this right?
Are they allowed to hold the ball in place to compensate for windy conditions?
Does anyone know the relevant rule or law regarding this please?

Thanks for reading ⚽

The Referee Store
Evening all. I hope someone can help me with this. During a game today, a direct free kick was awarded on the edge of the opposing penalty area.
The attacking team wanted to hold the ball in place with their finger (similarly to a rugby conversion or penalty situation) whilst the kick was taken.

I declined their request and was met with accusations of breaking laws of the game.
Is this right?
Are they allowed to hold the ball in place to compensate for windy conditions?
Does anyone know the relevant rule or law regarding this please?

Thanks for reading ⚽
As the ball is not in play until kicked, a finger on it seems OK as long as released before the ball is kicked. With the UK hit by gales over the last 24 hours I expect this happened in a few places.

On a test the answer would be not. I think the hyper-technical answer to the question is no, it's too windy for a ball to stay still for a FK, the field is unplayable. All fine and good in a professional context where manicured fields and stadium seats make it not actually become an issue the same way it is on an open field with grass reduced to dirt. And from a hyper-technical perspective, a handling offense would occur unless the hand was removed before the ball was kicked. But in practical terms at lower level, I think it is a reasonable solution in some cases. (Though PKs open a different can of worms.)

Finger on ball to keep it in place takes the game into farce levels imo
Ball wobbling, even shifting slightly, would be preferable, as long as both teams are treated the same, and again, we remain out the farce box.
You certainly did not break the lotg by refusing the request.

Back