A&H

Historic Tipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Just dropped the missus off at The Lyceum in Sheffield aside The Crucible and waiting around till it’s finished. The site where the Crucible now sits used to be a pub where the Original Sheffield Rules were drafted.
There is another pub in the Sandygates area of Sheffield that dates from 1804 where they were cemented and tweaked in history and the first Derby was played in 1860. We gave you the wonderful game, now look after it this season boys and remember no VARs are watching you! :cool:
http://www.sheffieldfc.com/history

The Referee Store
We have a lot to thank Scotland for.....

The battered Mars Bar..... Irn Bru, Jimmy Krankie, have I missed any?

Can’t believe you’ve dropped the Mrs off to watch dreamboys Sheff, your in for a treat later mate :D

Apparantly Scotland invented passing.
I saw that claim from a Scottish contributor to the comments section of a national newspaper. There were indeed changes made by the fledgling FA to its first draft of the laws to make the game less like rugby and more like modern football by removing clauses allowing for running with the ball in the hands and hacking. However the claim that this was due to Scottish influence is I'm afraid, wide of the mark. There is absolutely no evidence of Scottish influence, either direct or indirect, in those changes.

In fact the final version of the FA Laws as published was still not conducive to a passing style of play and those initial changes were almost certainly due to the influence of the Cambridge Rules, based on the following comments made by the two best-known members of the FA at the time:

''The Cambridge Rules appear to be the most desirable for the Association to adopt.''
J.F Alcock, FA Committee Member 1863

''They [the Cambridge Rules] embrace the true principles of the game, with the greatest simplicity.''
E.C.Morley, F.A. Hon. Sec. 1863.

Subsequent changes and the development of a more passing style of play (as SF will no doubt confirm) owed much more to the Sheffield Rules than any Scottish influence as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
The oldest recorded football match in Sheffield occurred in 1794 when a game of mob football was played between Sheffield and Norton (at the time a Derbyshire village) that took place at Bents Green. The game lasted three days, which was not unusual for matches at the time. It was noted that although there were some injuries no-one was killed during the match. The Clarkehouse Road Fencing Club had been playing football since 1852. The city was home to a number of sports clubs and the popularity of cricket had led to the chairman of Sheffield Cricket Club to suggest the construction of Bramall Lane.
By the 1850s there were several versions of football played in public schools and clubs throughout England. Each school played by their own code despite an attempt by Cambridge University to unify them in 1848. Their rules were generally inaccessible outside of the schools. There the football tended to be unorganised and fairly lawless games known as mob football. Although there are matches between small, equal numbered teams it remained a minority sport until the 1860s.
During the winter months in 1855 the players of Sheffield Cricket Club organised informal football matches in order to retain fitness until the start of the new season. Two of the players were Nathaniel Creswick (1826–1917) and William Prest (1832–1885), both of whom were born in Yorkshire. Creswick came from a Sheffield family of silver plate manufacturers that dated back several centuries. After being educated at the city's Collegiate School he became a solicitor. Prest's family had moved from York while he was a child. His father bought a wine merchants that William subsequently took over. Both men were keen sportsmen. Creswick enjoyed a number of sports including cricket and running. Prest played cricket for the All England XI and also captained Yorkshire on several occasions. The inaugural meeting of Sheffield F.C. took place on 24 October 1857 at Parkfield House in the suburb of Highfield. The original headquarters would become a greenhouse on East Bank Road. The adjacent field was used as their first playing ground.

Last edited:
I saw that claim from a Scottish contributor to the comments section of a national newspaper.

Inverting the Pyramid might shine better light on that. While the style of play didn't have an impact on the laws, it was Scotland that fostered play based on passing, when at the time the main method of playing was very direct, route one football almost.

It's an interesting book if you ever have the time. :)

Interesting that a nation that invented passing, all these years later can’t string two together.

And the telephone...

Turns out u guys invented a lot actually, chicken tikka masala being the best of the lot although I’d be interested in finding out more about Ali Ahmed Aslam’s family tree before giving it to Scotland

How about the tv you were able to watch the WC on in the first place
Baird’s design offered small, flickering, black-and-white images and involved the use of a spinning, perforated disk invented in 1894 by German engineer Paul Nipkow that scanned images for transmission as electrical signals. Just saying!!! :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back