A&H

High foot in the Penalty Area

Harry

Level 6 Referee
So in a game I was watching yesterday there was a high foot by a defender inside the penalty area and an indirect free kick was awarded to the attacking side. Is this the correct decision or should it have been a penalty?

The Referee Store
So in a game I was watching yesterday there was a high foot by a defender inside the penalty area and an indirect free kick was awarded to the attacking side. Is this the correct decision or should it have been a penalty?
It all depends on whether there is contact or not. Contact = Penalty, No contact = Indirect Free Kick

It also depends on how close the defender was to the attacker, I.e. referee's decision may have been incorrect in the o/p's scenario

A straight forward high foot challenge would be indirect. If contact is made penalty and probably a caution for reckless play.

A straight forward high foot challenge would be indirect. If contact is made penalty and probably a caution for reckless play.

A caution for dangerous play in the former? If I was given an indirect free kick for a high foot in the penalty area, I most likely would...

Very interesting reading this topic, I've just completed my referee course and this incident/foul was never mentioned. I would of been under impression in penalty area any contact penalty kick. Learnt so many things from this forum already and I've not been a member long :)

Was the decision that the player had played in a dangerous manner or that he had committed a foul resulting in a direct free kick?

Very interesting reading this topic, I've just completed my referee course and this incident/foul was never mentioned. I would of been under impression in penalty area any contact penalty kick. Learnt so many things from this forum already and I've not been a member long :)

Correct, contact resulting in a foul would be a PK.
If there's no contact but he is playing in a dangerous manner/endangering the safety of his opponent then an IDFK.

Don't forget that LOTG also includes attempts to kick as a reason to give a DFK (penalty in the box) ... a player could play in a dangerous manner AND be attempting to kick a player at the same time - if they miss the opponent you can still give a penalty (albeit might be a harder one to sell!)

IMO if no contact is made, and they have obviously going for the ball and not the player then IDFK and a caution for dangerous play...if they attempt to connect with the player with mallicious intent then PK and caution...but if they connect with the player with intent then surely thats a PK and a RED for dangersous play?

Back