Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Blue v Red

Free-kick awarded to Blue near centre circle

Blue take free-kick 20 yards from infringement

Blue player taking free-kick stumbles as takes it and ball goes to a Red player

I stop play and have Blue take free-kick from correct position

Red are not happy - one player goes too far - calls me an eff-ing cheat - I dismiss him

Can't find anything in Law book that says I was right (or wrong) - either is fine - just need to know !!

Thanks

The Referee Store
The good book says "free kick to be taken from where the infringement occurred" (page 41 iirc)

So, yes, you were right in making them take the kick again. Just unfortunate that it went to a member of the other team. Due to the stumble, the other team must have thought you'd taken pity on the taker, hence the offinabus!

I'd have dismissed him too!

Thanks Ross ... I was looking for something that said something like - "the ball isn't in play until ... (free-kick taken from correct place) ... I know if the situation had been a throw-in taken from wrong place then regardless of where it goes it is a re-take (to other team) - just wanted it to say re-take of free-kick too :)

Yep free kick has to be taken from the position where the offence occurred and calling you and effing cheat is OFFINABUS. the only other question i have is did you blow your whistle?

Hi Aaron ... Nope ... First blow of the whistle was when I realised Blue had taken it (from the wrong place) - the Blue player's stumble was quite loud and alerted me to what had happened !!

Thats fine then, all yo have to say is wait a minute i wasn't in position ask them to re take :)

Yep ... That was what I was going for ... Until one of the red players obviously didn't want to play no more !!

(He had the hump earlier in the game when I gave an IFK against him for putting off a player (shouting at a blue player from 4-5 yards away to put him off) - he knew I was right, but had the right hump as he'd never got that decision and apparently it happened to him every week :)

Back