A&H

Have the laws around videos/photos changed?

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
But of a random one.

Today’s home team were filming the match, away coach had a whinge, I said that legally as we are on a council pitch/public land they don’t need permission etc to film.

Which, as far as I am aware, is correct.

However, it is apparently one of the many things they are complaining about, as apparently the introduction of GDPR earlier in the year made it illegal.

I know that this is not something that falls under the control of the referee, so we can’t stop people filming or taking pictures.

But I’m curious as to whether this is correct, as I had to do GDPR training at work, and that all centred around controlling access to the data and protecting the data etc.

The Referee Store
Don't think this falls under GDPR, as there is no PII (Personally Identifiable Information) being exposed by the filming

Don't think this falls under GDPR, as there is no PII (Personally Identifiable Information) being exposed by the filming

That’s what I thought, but just nodded sagely and told them it’s not something that falls under the referees responsibility.

I think they were just looking for things to complain about, but always helps to check invade something has come out that I’ve missed

Yeah GDPR has absolutely nothing to do with it. As long as they’re filming from a public place (I.e. even if the ground is private, as long as the camera is in a public place) then it’s legal.

After the game a player said they would be reporting them to the Police...

I’ve emailed the League to make them aware of the complaint, just so that everyone is in the loop

I’ve emailed the League to make them aware of the complaint, just so that everyone is in the loop
In the real world, that player could have his house burgled and the police would scarcely show an interest. Good luck to him :egg:

A report to the police, what a waste of effort.

If a complaint is made to you about videoing a match, simply say it has nothing to do with you. They need to refer to the league and the CFA.

York league has a rule that matches can be videos for training and promotional purposes, but not for revenue generation. Any matter referee is therefore ignored. There may be different procedures for minors football, but the CFA will have the guidance.

IFAB trotted our data protection as one of two reasons why referees body cams weren’t allowed. The other was to do with ownership of the footage!
Can’t see just be honest and say they object on principle.

Back