A&H

Hatfield Town v Buckingham Town - Red Card Incident

The Referee Store
It does arouse some interest as its one of those red card tackles which does not result in opponent being hurt/staying down/rolling around etc
Important that as referees we treat the tackle on its own merits
There is another post running about, reporting, and to tick whether the player was injured etc
This clip is a good example of why, for me, that question does not matter.

If thats harsh then I dread to think whats deemed unnacceptable!
He is air bourne, at speed, no regard for opponents safety and for me, out of control,
I dont believe for one second you are deeming the fact he got the ball cleanly to be a factor here, its not relavent at all!!

If it was possible to ask Siri what serious foul play looked like, this is a pic of what I hope it would throw up

Attachments

• IMG_7575.PNG
    IMG_7575.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
What i don't get is the referee running straight past the incident which could of been a potential flash point to take up a position on the goal line and summon the player over.

What i don't get is the referee running straight past the incident which could of been a potential flash point to take up a position on the goal line and summon the player over.

Agreed, quick flash of ref is all thats needed here, no discussion with player, no delay of issuing card, simple case of point to spot and bye bye player. He has dragged the player further away from where he is going to be sent too, pointless.

I recently refereed the Home Team's U25s
Interesting that both that both the first team and U25s are desperately struggling
I wouldn't be critical of this refereeing at this level
The awarding of a penalty mitigated the chance of a flash-point and by running to the touchline, he actually drew the opponents away from the offender. I accept that this was more luck than judgement, but I think penalty & SFP was the key consideration and I'd say he got this right

I recently refereed the Home Team's U25s
Interesting that both that both the first team and U25s are desperately struggling
I wouldn't be critical of this refereeing at this level
The awarding of a penalty mitigated the chance of a flash-point and by running to the touchline, he actually drew the opponents away from the offender. I accept that this was more luck than judgement, but I think penalty & SFP was the key consideration and I'd say he got this right

Yes, we all always look at the logistics of how something was done and how we would do it, or how he could have done it better, end of day, he got the 2 part call correct pk and red card.

Yes, we all always look at the logistics of how something was done and how we would do it, or how he could have done it better, end of day, he got the 2 part call correct pk and red card.
Looks like he's programmed to run to that position on the touchline. Bit lucky it didn't kick off, but hey ho

He looks of the more mature variety, where it was 2nd nature to give the pk then run to the touchline in the past.

Interesting that there was no complaints from the yellow team, its the Blues that are in contact with the referee.
I think it was in protest to get the offender sent off. The red card came out very late and TBH I am not sure if it was an after thought, he wanted thinking time or if the protest from blue influenced his decision.

Either way he got it right and given the nature of the tackle which no contact, a bit of thinking time is justifiable .

Its very a tough one this, just playing devils advocate.

I totally 100% get "he got the ball" does not matter one bit, i tell people on the sidelines every weekend BUT If he gets the ball but makes no contact whatsoever with the player should it be looked at differently ?

How can this be a RED and say Van Dijk last night only a yellow, i get two different refs at two totally different levels.

I totally 100% get "he got the ball" does not matter one bit, i tell people on the sidelines every weekend BUT If he gets the ball but makes no contact whatsoever with the player should it be looked at differently ?

How can this be a RED and say Van Dijk last night only a yellow, i get two different refs at two totally different levels.
The decision for Van Dijk last night was a mistake. This wasn't. You only have to look at the definition of Excessive Force criteria to see they are both red. Contact with ball and player are considerations not criteria.

Its in the opinion of the referee, and you need to decide whether this challenge full fills the requirements of serious foul play / using excessive force.

The only reason he didn't make contact was because the player with the ball took avoiding action and jumped over him.

Agreed, quick flash of ref is all thats needed here, no discussion with player, no delay of issuing card, simple case of point to spot and bye bye player.

I'm not sure whether in this politically correct era,referee exhibitionism is the answer to defusing potential flashpoints ... :rolleyes:

Back