A&H

Hard pitches - Summer v Winter

RefJef

RefChat Addict
I remember being given a very good explanation of why we allow games to go ahead on rock hard pitches in the summer, but not frozen pitches in the winter but, alas, I can't remember the reason!

Down here in the sunny south west, pitches that three weeks ago were boggy mudflats have now baked hard in the lovely sunny weather we've enjoyed over the last week's.

During a pitch inspection before this evening's game, I was asked the very same question by the visiting side. I couldn't answer them, but they were happy when I told them that there was a good reason, it had been explained to me in the past, but I couldn't remember the reason.

To be fair, this was the bottom division of the local O A grass roots league - they don't expect too much of the facilities were they ply their trade. (I did try to get my excuses in earlier and tell them that we could all blame the pitch today instead of the ref, but I'm not sure they bought it!)

Any answers?

The Referee Store
A hard pitch in winter is likely to be slippy. A spring/summer hard pitch will be a bit dusty but will let a boot grip. There are more reasons but I wouldn't usually consider a spring postponement unless the pitch is actually frozen.

A frozen pitch is going to be slippy, and the surface is more likely to be uneven as it will have been churned up and then frozen that way. Generally in summer it's flat, baked surfaces where there is still plenty of grip, so far less danger of slipping around or twisting a knee in a rut.

Back