A&H

Happy Christmas break. How's everyone getting on?

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Last fixtures for me yesterday until the New Year, so it's an official break for me.

How's everyone getting on with the season in 2021 so far?

Are you on course from promotion? Are you fit? Have you sorted your Christmas presents yet?

My season has been up and down; started off well, but the amount of dissent and abuse has been so much towards the end of December that for once, I find myself very happy that I have a break from games. I think I'm at a limit psychologically.

Fitness is good, I've passed multiple fitness tests this season, and I'm on course for promotion, provided I don't muck things up in the second half.

And yes, I do have Christmas present sorted!

I hope everyone's fit and on course for your targets, whatever they may be, and an early Merry Christmas/Happy New Year from me. :)

The Referee Store
Season so far: Genuinely enjoying most of my middles, getting frustrated by too many lines, made worse by a few too many sub-par performances from the refs in question as well. I did too many matches in October, cut it right back for Nov/Dec and then had loads cancelled, so it's been a bit too up-and down so far.

Not on promotion this season, although I was due to have an "advisory observation" the other week before the match was called off. I'm new to the county so I figure that either means I've been doing so well they wanted me assessed ahead of potential cup finals etc, or so poorly that they wanted me assessed because I might need further training. We'll never know....

Fitness definitely isn't where it needs to be, but I knew that coming into the season, hence not being on promotion. But it doesn't feel like I've had much chance to improve it via reffing (to many matches means I took it easy/had a few minor niggles, too few doesn't add up to much of a fitness boost) so hopefully I get in more of a rhythm for the second half of the season.

Doing the last few bits of xmas shopping today, all the big items done a while ago though!

I only picked up the whistle again this October. Qualified in 2012 when I was 15 and now back.

On the whole I am enjoying it a lot. I’ve been in the middle for women’s games mainly and really enjoy getting back to it. Frustrating in terms of not quite getting my positioning right all the time but that will come I’m sure.

Done a lot of lines on the Wiltshire Senior League - Premier Division and u18 floodlit. Also done two games on the Western League Div 1 (step 6). Really enjoyed the lines and think I’ve had a decent performance on the whole. Become a bit disappointed and dejected following my game at the weekend. Kept my flag down for home side’s opening goal (they won 5-1). Away manager followed me up and down the touch line telling me how wrong I was and then followed with indirect social media abuse from a supporter after the game. Shame as I was really enjoying it all…

Last edited:
Away manager followed me up and down the touch line telling me how wrong I was
Is this not dissent? Genuine question from a newbie.

(I don't want to hijack a Christmas thread with this one, so a single yes/no will suffice, but experience on here so far suggest ls it won't be as simple as that!)

Is this not dissent? Genuine question from a newbie.

(I don't want to hijack a Christmas thread with this one, so a single yes/no will suffice, but experience on here so far suggest ls it won't be as simple as that!)

Apologies, let me rephrase that. He removed himself from the technical area to the stand and followed me up and down my half from the terracing. He left the assistant manager in the technical area (who was his son).

Good season, postponement/health/injury wise so far.

Last two games off due to Covid, but I've done 32 games so far, happy with that.

Enjoyed my usual variety of middles/lines on different competitions

So far, so good. Undoubted highlight was refereeing a county Senior Cup tie between two Step 5 sides. Not bad as a level 5.

Can’t shake my supply league curse however. Took over from a referee 30 minutes into a game and my first major action was a red for a DOGSO. Averaging nearly 1.5 reds per middle on this league! 🤐

Reading between the lines, seem to be building a solid reputation as an AR, particularly for the trickier, tougher games. Wearing that as a badge of honour, as I’m constantly seeking to improve and be the best 5 I can.

Apologies, let me rephrase that. He removed himself from the technical area to the stand and followed me up and down my half from the terracing. He left the assistant manager in the technical area (who was his son).
Not to hijack the thread, but just be aware that you can still ask your referee to deal with that. It's the responsibility of the most senior club official still on the bench (in this case, the AM/son) to manage their spectators. If you have a single identifiable "spectator" meeting the Abuse part of OFFINABUS, you can call your ref over/let them know at HT and they should talk to the AM and get them to deal with it.

The odd comment here or there from the stands, or a general group of spectators responding to a specific decision, the expectation at that level unfortunately is that you need to let it roll off you. But a single spectator (who in reality is a red carded team official) literally following you up and down the line I think is a reasonable exception to that rule. And don't assume the referee is aware and choosing not to act - they will be hearing a lot of voices from a lot of directions, it may be difficult to pick up on a particular person going out of their way to give targeted abuse to another match official.

Not to hijack the thread, but just be aware that you can still ask your referee to deal with that. It's the responsibility of the most senior club official still on the bench (in this case, the AM/son) to manage their spectators. If you have a single identifiable "spectator" meeting the Abuse part of OFFINABUS, you can call your ref over/let them know at HT and they should talk to the AM and get them to deal with it.

The odd comment here or there from the stands, or a general group of spectators responding to a specific decision, the expectation at that level unfortunately is that you need to let it roll off you. But a single spectator (who in reality is a red carded team official) literally following you up and down the line I think is a reasonable exception to that rule. And don't assume the referee is aware and choosing not to act - they will be hearing a lot of voices from a lot of directions, it may be difficult to pick up on a particular person going out of their way to give targeted abuse to another match official.

Absolutely. I did bring it to the attention of the referee at half time.

It was only my second game at step 6 so I am slowly learning what I should be expected to deal with and what crosses any line etc.

It is odd to me that dismissed officials get to stay in the stands. Norm in US sports is back to the locker room. I'd rather see that.

(In all of the youth leagues I've worked with, the standard has been away from the sight and sound of the field.)

It is odd to me that dismissed officials get to stay in the stands. Norm in US sports is back to the locker room. I'd rather see that.

(In all of the youth leagues I've worked with, the standard has been away from the sight and sound of the field.)
Just to add. The manager wasn’t dismissed at all. He just decided to leave the technical area and walk about in the stand/terraced area.

I've finally managed to get the hard bit done for my level 7 -> 6 promotion - got twenty games in and been observed three times, two 'at standards' and one 'above standard'. All I'll have to do now is pass an LotG exam and I'll finally have managed it! Two COVID-stopped seasons have stopped my two previous attempts, but I think I'll get away with it this time!

Season is going well 👍🏻

Fitness test passed, 3/5 observations ticked off with a decent average.

September was a highlight, put in the middle of some step 6 games due to a shortage of L4’s early in the season.

Had a few tricky games but generally a very enjoyable season so far and on course for promotion barring any catastrophes in my next 2 observations.

Nowhere near fit, in various ways, but over componsating for that with excellent positioning
One last assigment Weds then taking a two week break, altho a lot of that break be outwith my control anyway,
Given myself to mid March to return to athlete status.

Lamenting what could have been so far and focusing on what needs to happen in the 2nd half of the season.

4/5 observations boxed off with good marks. Fitness test passed and all good on that front. Couldn't do the Exam due to having a wisdom tooth out that day so have to do that later in the season and that will decide my promotion (its also my weakness so need to brush up on the kind of stuff that comes up in exams).

Had around 30 fixtures and 0 postponements ti's year which is amazing considering the circumstances.

To summarise its going really well as far. Hope for the same in 2022

I only picked up the whistle again this October. Qualified in 2012 when I was 15 and now back.

On the whole I am enjoying it a lot. I’ve been in the middle for women’s games mainly and really enjoy getting back to it. Frustrating in terms of not quite getting my positioning right all the time but that will come I’m sure.

Done a lot of lines on the Wiltshire Senior League - Premier Division and u18 floodlit. Also done two games on the Western League Div 1 (step 6). Really enjoyed the lines and think I’ve had a decent performance on the whole. Become a bit disappointed and dejected following my game at the weekend. Kept my flag down for home side’s opening goal (they won 5-1). Away manager followed me up and down the touch line telling me how wrong I was and then followed with indirect social media abuse from a supporter after the game. Shame as I was really enjoying it all…
I feel like I might know the game you’re on about. I have family down South that are fans of the home team (assuming the initials of home club are BS) so I keep up to date with the social media for the club and saw a “controversial“ AR call. I spoke to my Uncle about the game seeing as he’s up for Christmas. My Uncle thinks you made the right call If that helps! I’m not sure how much his opinion counts for you. Might not even be the same game though.

@Joshref You are correct mate! BS v A for further clarity.

Thanks for asking! I’m glad he thought it was the right call. It was close but one where home team agreed and away team disagreed. I was then accused of getting intimidated by the home bench as that was the bench in my half.

It did knock me back a bit to be fair as it’s only my 2nd game at step 6. Never easy to tell when there is no video evidence and those abusing were on the wrong end of the decision.

Back