A&H

Handball leading to a goal

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
A lovely scenario here for you..

Before that, however, a little context to think about.
Recently, in the Manchester City game, we saw a "No Goal" situation via VAR for handball (even the slightest of touches) under the new law.
This occurred in the build up to the Man City goal and in the penalty area.

Scenario time...

Team A defending a corner, Team B puts ball into Team A penalty area. Team B heads it down and it touches Team A's hand but is not determined to be worthy, in law, to be a penalty due to how close it was to the defender and not broken his "silhouette". However, Team A clear the ball straight to the half way line to an attacker and break away and score.

What is the action taken?

If this had been reversed, Team B handled it (same circumstances) and then bundled it home, it would be no goal under new law.
But as the initial "handball" led to change of possession, followed by a goal 8-10 seconds later, do you disallow the goal due to handball as per the law? If so, what is the restart? It'd be a free kick for handball if it was Team B that scored, but in this instance Team A handled it and went up and scored but the handball occurred in Team A's penalty area, would it be a penalty to Team B?

I am likely over thinking this but technically, in law, this is not explained and it CAN happen (just thinking back to Brentford v Doncaster in 2013 when Brentford had a penalty, hit crossbar and then a few shots and half attempted clearances before a decent clear out led to Doncaster attacking and scoring. If any of those shots hit a Doncaster hand, even accidentally, that then led to the clearance and subsequent goal, is it a goal still?

The Referee Store
This has been covered pretty much to the letter in the thread 'make a decision', please have a look at that first mate.

I would have done if the title made a bit more sense. I scanned the titles of the threads to see if there was something similar first.

Back