A&H

Handball in the premier league

Spireross

Scrolling through Twitter, I’ve come across this which could be very interesting if found to be true. Comments are very negative towards the idea and it seems like relationships between fans and referees couldn’t be much worse at the moment.

Attachments

• 5EF68812-04B5-46BA-B0E5-F603DFC0765B.png
    5EF68812-04B5-46BA-B0E5-F603DFC0765B.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 72
The Referee Store
Suspected this might be the case. Probably right but this ‘interpretation’ directly contravenes the wording of the law

Suspected this might be the case. Probably right but this ‘interpretation’ directly contravenes the wording of the law
And yet, this is what is directed in most of the high level teaching.

The game doesn't want goals that smell funny. And a goal that is handled... smells funny.

Scrolling through Twitter, I’ve come across this which could be very interesting if found to be true. Comments are very negative towards the idea and it seems like relationships between fans and referees couldn’t be much worse at the moment.
There is no relationship between referees and fans. The referees are there to look after the players.

There is no relationship between referees and fans. The referees are there to look after the players.

Also since most football fans seem more interested in blaming referees than talking about football, I also couldn't care less what "fans" think. The Premier League could have 15 UEFA Elite referees and people would still say that they suck. So at that point it's just time to tune them out.

And yet, this is what is directed in most of the high level teaching.

The game doesn't want goals that smell funny. And a goal that is handled... smells funny.

Oh I completely agree. But if this guidance is coming then all it requires is a law change, because right now, the two are competing.

True. But so does the 'slide block/tackle + accidental handling = foul' interpretation.

It's unbelievable just how how badly they're screwing things up at the top. This rubbish makes me glad I don't currently referee. How on earth is any parks level referee supposed to have any idea how to apply the law? And what about the players - they won't have a clue what to expect.
Not really the case in televised games. Referees are presenters of an entertainment package, not impartial arbitrators of the law (unlike literally every other sport).

This rubbish of doing things differently at high levels has to stop. It does nothing but damage to the game at grassroots. We already had the after effects of the World Cup in our area where the keepers were expecting to get away with blatant encroachment in penalties 'because they were doing it in the world cup'.

And if the tweet in the OP is true, it's only a knee jerk reaction to one incident. This incident should have been called DHB anyway but I already had that debate. How on earth will they be disallowing the goal in a scenario where a goal line clearance by a defender hits the hand of an opponent who is a meter away in completely natural position and motionless while not even looking at the ball and then bounces into goal?

What's next, all own goals are disallowed in EPL?

I could see there was a reply from Keith Hackett so I took a look to see what he was saying. He made several replies, one of them being the following which I totally agree with:
Jaqui the only organisation that can amend the laws and the interpretation are the IFAB. FIFA. The FA, Scotland FA. FA of Wales and FA Northern Ireland.NOT the PGMOL who do not have any dispensation to do their own thing.

Back