A&H

Half time lengths

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I'm not saying no one is super fit, or completely unfit, before anyone says.

If a league stipulates 5 minutes half time, even 10 minutes, and I'm talking youth football here, maybe even Sunday morning, do you take the full quoted minutes or do you get back on asap to finish the game and get home that extra couple minutes earlier than planned?

I ask because a game I had recently before I even reached my bag, after retrieving the ball, the players were back on the pitch. I use the refsix app so it counts down how long half time has already been, and on this occasion it was literally about 1 minute 15 seconds when they got back on the field.

Now, as I said, I'm not trying to determine anyone's fitness or anything but for me I needed a breather. It was 40 minutes each way game. They played the longest of long ball game I've had in a long time and I was trying to catch my breath. I needed a drink and a rest.
But I was getting looks from almost everyone as if they're saying "come on ref".
It got me thinking... it's ok for them (the players). A defender when they're attacking gets a breather on the half way line, an attacker when they're defending gets a breather etc whilst a ref runs past them every time to keep up with play. And when a player gets tired, they get subbed - roll on, roll off.

I remember when I first passed, many many moons ago, before roll on, roll off, when they took their allotted time for a break. They conserved and regained energy where possible. But seems that now and now they could just go straight through 80 minutes without a half time and don't care about the ref. It almost felt like a water break to me.

The Referee Store
Most Leagues will stipulate a minimum half time duration of 5 mins. The max is always 15 mins.

Irrespective of whether they're all ready to go in the second half or not - they can't start without you so if you need/want a breather then have it. :) 👍

3 teams in every match (home, away, officials) - for me, I'll happily cut half time short but only if all 3 teams want to.

Most Leagues will stipulate a minimum half time duration of 5 mins. The max is always 15 mins.

Irrespective of whether they're all ready to go in the second half or not - they can't start without you so if you need/want a breather then have it. :) 👍
Max is only 10 minutes in all Middlesex County Cups.

If there are no paying spectators I've always had no problem if both teams want to go early for the second half. If the weather isn't great and / or changing rooms are too far away to go back to I usually make a point of asking both captains at the coin toss if they want a quick turnaround, and the answer is almost always yes.

The other context I see on shortened half times is where games are stacked up on a field and behind schedule--it becomes a choice of cut playing time or half time.

I hate half time.

ok, I’ll caveat that: its nice to have a breather and a drink, but if I’m on my own I dont want a long half time, 5 mins is ample. No one to talk too, I’ll amble around the side of the pitch (it’s worse if we all troop back to the changing rooms - I sit, on my own, in a room that’s not the most fragrant or salubrious, watching the clock tick away until we can star again.)

No, short half times suit me fine.

(Different when working as a part of a three: nice to have a chat with your teammates)

I hate half time.

ok, I’ll caveat that: its nice to have a breather and a drink, but if I’m on my own I dont want a long half time, 5 mins is ample. No one to talk too, I’ll amble around the side of the pitch (it’s worse if we all troop back to the changing rooms - I sit, on my own, in a room that’s not the most fragrant or salubrious, watching the clock tick away until we can star again.)

(Different when working as a part of a three: nice to have a chat with your teammates)
Or its colder than outside... 😂
Hald time in a 3 is a good chance to take stock of the game, make any changes to the game plan and compare notes on who's causing problems.

I hate half time.

Do you get double word points for using "salubrious"?? :D

Minimum 5, maximum 15 for Somerset. I've no idea why there'd be a difference. Maybe we're a bit less fit down here Paul? :D
Seems odd to have a minimum at grassroots.. If all participants want to change it round, quick swig of water and crack on then why would you regulate against that?

Seems odd to have a minimum at grassroots.. If all participants want to change it round, quick swig of water and crack on then why would you regulate against that?
Who knows? I suppose by the time they've trudged off the pitch, had a few glugs and a quick spiel from their coach/captain and then all re-entered the field, at least 5 mins has passed anyway. ;)

Verbatim:

(g) The half time interval shall be of five minutes duration, but it shall not exceed fifteen minutes the half time interval may only be altered with the consent of the referee.

At the end of the day, if they're all good to go after 2 minutes I'd always just crack on anyway. I've personally never had a half-time that wasn't at least 5 mins though ... :)

Its just a LOTG thing isn't it James? Old quiz question is what happens if one player out of 22 wants to take maximum ht break - answer , as you know, is that all 22 take maximum half time break.

Who knows? I suppose by the time they've trudged off the pitch, had a few glugs and a quick spiel from their coach/captain and then all re-entered the field, at least 5 mins has passed anyway. ;)

Verbatim:

At the end of the day, if they're all good to go after 2 minutes I'd always just crack on anyway. I've personally never had a half-time that wasn't at least 5 mins though ... :)
Agree, wouldn't enforce a maximum ht if everyone else ready, never been in a 3 where that's happened either.

Minimum 5, maximum 15 for Somerset. I've no idea why there'd be a difference. Maybe we're a bit less fit down here Paul? :D
:)

Its just a LOTG thing isn't it James? Old quiz question is what happens if one player out of 22 wants to take maximum ht break - answer , as you know, is that all 22 take maximum half time break.
Yes, if 1 person wants the break everyone gets it. But if everyone wants to keep moving, technically, the rules mean everyone has to wait 5 mins.
Obviously we'd just crack on, but seems strange to regulate a minimum period..

Yes, if 1 person wants the break everyone gets it. But if everyone wants to keep moving, technically, the rules mean everyone has to wait 5 mins.
Obviously we'd just crack on, but seems strange to regulate a minimum period..

I think it must be IFAB looking out for referees to make sure the referee doesn't become the bad guy if he's the only one who wants a break. :D

I'm pretty sure, but cannot prove, that well before '95 halftimes at professional games were routinely more than 5 minutes--looks like the change was track what was already happening. (I would imagine that refs routinely "consented" in order to continue being a professional referee.)

Back