A&H

Hackett Watch - You Are the Ref 315

McTavish

I know I'm getting obsessed but once again You Are The Ref in The Observer contains nonsense. This week's madness:
Scenario: Two overseas players are shouting at each other aggressively in a mixture of English and their own language. One say's to the other "well you're a ******** too." It is a clear racial Insult. What now?

Answer: Send them both off. One for the racial insult and the other because you have evidence, based on the word "too", that the pair have traded racist insults.

Really!!! Hackett is saying that a player should be sent off for offinabus not for anything that the ref has heard but for something that an opponent has indirectly suggested might have been said. Good luck with writing that report.

The Referee Store
What evidence? Surely you can't dismiss for something you didn't actually hear?

Typical Hackett, clueless.

I've booked someone for a foul I didn't see, based on what the player who committed the foul has said. Also, there was a thread on here not so long back where 'entrapment' was advocated and examples of successful usage during games were given

Not red carded, admittedly, but not so different

Ridiculous. Unless you are fluent in the foreign language being spoken, you could never sanction the speaker (unless you could somehow justify his tone or volume being offensive, insulting, or abusive).

I've booked someone for a foul I didn't see, based on what the player who committed the foul has said. Also, there was a thread on here not so long back where 'entrapment' was advocated and examples of successful usage during games were given

Not red carded, admittedly, but not so different
I think it is very different. In your example the offender has effectively admitted the offence. In Hackett's scenario he inferred the offence from what an opponent said. No-one has even claimed that the first player has used a racial insult.

It is almost exactly the same as if you see two players arguing and afterwards overhear one saying to a team-mate "he called me a ******". Would anyone send off in this instance?

In fact it's not even that solid - in the OP perhaps the first player said " I am an excellent player, a skilled pianist and a great lover," and the second player said "well, you're a ***** too." The ref just cannot know and so can't dismiss for offinabus.

Last edited:
In fact it's not even that solid - in the OP perhaps the first player said " I am an excellent player, a skilled pianist and a great lover," and the second player said "well, you're a ***** too." The ref just cannot know and so can't dismiss for offinabus.

Love it! :)

Just out of curiosity what would everyone do for the 3rd situation, has a similar thing happen to me when i was running the line. Ball gets played through towards a striker who is an offside position, the other assistant raises his flag and the referee acknowledges this and plays advatage as the defender was clearly getting there first. The defender then picks the ball up in the penalty area to take it to where the offside was flagged, without realising the game had played on. Penaly, or allow the idfk?

Just out of curiosity what would everyone do for the 3rd situation, has a similar thing happen to me when i was running the line. Ball gets played through towards a striker who is an offside position, the other assistant raises his flag and the referee acknowledges this and plays advatage as the defender was clearly getting there first. The defender then picks the ball up in the penalty area to take it to where the offside was flagged, without realising the game had played on. Penaly, or allow the idfk?
IDFK for original offside, no advantage has been gained.

I had a similar situation to the offside one last week.
Player on the ball was tripped but i initially tried to give advantage as a team-mate of his was nearest but the fouled player put his hand on the ball to put it in place for the free kick so I gave the free kick.

I hate you are the ref. Mainly because certain people will always remember one ridiculous question in there and ask you it. Then being a ref your expected to know the answer and if you don't get it word for word right they act like you're a pn idiot.

Plus 9/10 times they are beyond stupid. A player is taking a penalty, then a stadium announces a ufo has been seen outside the ground, at the same time the goal keeper questions you the precise longitude and latitude of the centre circle when a streaker comes on and replaces the ball with a melon. At which point the striker kicks the melon and only half crosses the line with the other half goes wide of the post. What action do you take with the defender who shouted FRUIT SALAD?

I hate you are the ref. Mainly because certain people will always remember one ridiculous question in there and ask you it. Then being a ref your expected to know the answer and if you don't get it word for word right they act like you're a pn idiot.

Plus 9/10 times they are beyond stupid. A player is taking a penalty, then a stadium announces a ufo has been seen outside the ground, at the same time the goal keeper questions you the precise longitude and latitude of the centre circle when a streaker comes on and replaces the ball with a melon. At which point the striker kicks the melon and only half crosses the line with the other half goes wide of the post. What action do you take with the defender who shouted FRUIT SALAD?
Pronounce an off the cuff sentence of him being taken off by the ufo into space and taught to fully understand fruit based desert creation on a molecular level and how it should never be mocked with random outbursts during a penalty.

Probably not to far off what Hackett would say?

Back